Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help building custom rear mount system

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help building custom rear mount system

Sts system is about $7000 shipped which sounds like im spending $5500 on simple **** I dl can do without or make myself. I can get a turbo an compressor for next to nothing an blow off valve would be an easy pickup for me. Iv never messed with forced induction but iv been around them alot. Im thinkin for about $1500 I can boost my ls1 transam. Im looking for about 450-500 hp at the wheels. Any help would be apretiated.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Anybody?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well before someone else is less kind I will say that a search will do you some good. There are a couple threads you should look for ZL1Killa, Zombie, 1320, longrange4u, all have good threads. I am in the process of gathering parts for my build. I have to say you are quite the optimist at $1500. In order to do it completely, correctly, and with quality parts you should expect to more than double that amount. The sticky titled "The real price of Forced induction" may do you some good as well. I am estimating that I will be about $5k deep in mine the first time I turn the key. But I refuse to compromise on parts. Good luck to you!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give Jim at CalSpeed a call. He's installing a custom RearMount setup for me using an On3 T76 Ball Bearing Turbo. Mandrel bent cold piping, scavenger pump, injectors, custom tune, etc.

He might be able to ship some of the parts that you need to you to help cut down on the cost of your system(s).

Also, consider an LS9 Cam Swap. He's doing that for me as well. My car should hopefully be done by the end of this week. (Not as handy as you guys, so I have to pay someone else to do the install. Wish I had the right tools and garage space too!)

Here's his website: http://www.calspeedperformance.com
Email: CalSpeedPerformance@Gmail.com

He's a nice guy and great builder/tuner.
Video of another customer's ride:
(Twin Turbos, On3T76, Rear Mounted)

http://vegaslsx.com/vbulletin/vbtube...yno-Run-850-hp

Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 AM
12 Second Club

Definitely read up and if your building it study lots of pictures. Mines about 75% complete as far as the actual system is concerned with about $900 spent. But there's a lot more to go with like fueling tuning and so fourth. Part of the reason I'm doing mine as cheap as I am is cause I do exhaust at my work so I have access to materials and a lift. I'd say the hardest part of it will be the intercooler pipe. It took me 2 hours to build mine and got it tucked nice and tight with 2.5 inch pipe. By the time I'm all said and done ill be in mine roughly
$3k. Check around a used sts kit may pop up for cheap and should suit your needs.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

good luck bro. You will need fuel pump injectors i/c all the piping silicone and clamps, oil feed and return,tune, cold side piping. I would at least double your number. Good luck with the build just remember someone else did it. You can do it to. Its not rocket science.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was really kicking around the idea of a rearmount for a few reasons, for one they look on the easier side to build , im a newb to fi and i think that might be a good starting point, i have read zombies thread and that was a really good bunch of info on rearmounts, i see sts kits for sale on here all the time pretty cheap, maybe next time i see one i will have to jump on it, that or ill just wait till i have a good amount of cash saved up and have josh at kytp build me a front mount kit

Quick Reply: Help building custom rear mount system