Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping shortblock and clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping shortblock and clutch...

I'll keep this short and to the point:

I'm swapping my tired '98 LS1 shortblock with a fresh LS6 shortblock (as well as TFS 215's, cam, etc). I have already removed everything down to the shortblock, including the heads. I will also be replacing the clutch and motor mounts with this swap.

My questions:

Which method of removal would be the simplest for my situation? Since I'm down to the shortblock, would it be easy to pull out the top? Can I just leave the transmission with the chassis or should I pull that as well to aide with the clutch installation?

I've heard dropping the entire front end is easiest because it is an extremely tight fit out the top, but I assumed that was a longblock being pulled.

I have access to both a two post car lift and an engine hoist, as well as jack stands, jacks, etc.

This will be my first engine swap, so any and all input and/or links are welcome!

Allen
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Also, mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section. I wasn't 100% sure on where to post this question.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easiest way is to disconnect the entire front subframe and lift the body off...especially if you are doing motor mounts and clutch...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a lift get some tall jack stands. One at the back of the tranny and two on the k member. Then disconnect everything under the hood. Then lower the car on to the jack stands bit lift is still holding body of car. Then unbolt the engine and tranny. Then lift up. Then its all off.