Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with an LS6 problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with an LS6 problem

I resolved my engine complaints with GM and received a 84 month, 70 k mile GM protection plan with no deductable. Pretty much covers the whole car.

OK, now I'm on my own to resolve this ticking issue with my engine. I performed a compression check of each cylinder and all were between 205 and 210 psi. Checked using 5 comp strokes with TB wide open. Everything seems OK there. Next I drove the car and got it nice and hot. The ticking sound is very loud and I can here it at idle. I remove one injector at a time and when I pull cylinder #5 the ticking stops and there seems to be very little drop in idle, almost as if the cylinder isn't pulling it's fair share of the load.

Another thing I have noticed lately is the car starts to miss in third gear above 5500 rpm where the HP curve starts to flatten out. Also, left bank running rich by exhaust tip indication, although plugs looked fine. No codes are being set.

Car is stock. Can anyone offer some insight as to what's going on here?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jub jub
I resolved my engine complaints with GM and received a 84 month, 70 k mile GM protection plan with no deductable. Pretty much covers the whole car.

OK, now I'm on my own to resolve this ticking issue with my engine. I performed a compression check of each cylinder and all were between 205 and 210 psi. Checked using 5 comp strokes with TB wide open. Everything seems OK there. Next I drove the car and got it nice and hot. The ticking sound is very loud and I can here it at idle. I remove one injector at a time and when I pull cylinder #5 the ticking stops and there seems to be very little drop in idle, almost as if the cylinder isn't pulling it's fair share of the load.

Another thing I have noticed lately is the car starts to miss in third gear above 5500 rpm where the HP curve starts to flatten out. Also, left bank running rich by exhaust tip indication, although plugs looked fine. No codes are being set.

Car is stock. Can anyone offer some insight as to what's going on here?

I'd bet that the #5 injector is bad. Esp if the idle does not change when you unplug it.
You can buy a set of the 28.8lb injectors for less than $100 off ebay. I'd replace them and see if that does not fix the problem.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heretic
I'd bet that the #5 injector is bad. Esp if the idle does not change when you unplug it.
You can buy a set of the 28.8lb injectors for less than $100 off ebay. I'd replace them and see if that does not fix the problem.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks.