LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

A sad story.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sad story.

I loved the **** out of my GXP. Unfortunately, my transmission started slipping about a month ago. I spent some good time weighing the pros and cons, especially whether or not I wanted to drop two grand into a car without a warranty. I guess I should've considered that when I bought it, but unfortunately I fell in love with the idea of a big motor in a Grand Prix when I first purchased it. So after a lot of thought, I traded it in for this.

Unfortunately my pockets were not deep enough to afford the R/T or (what I really wanted) the SRT-8. However it makes decent power, albeit at high rpm- 305HP @ 6300, 260-something ft-lb tq @ 4800 i believe. And it gets crazy gas mileage (26 mpg avg ) and rides like a Cadillac to boot. It's a 2011, 11k miles, final price was like $23k. Shifts fine in automatic mode, tends to bang when you're in autostick. The voice controlled multimedia center is a little rusty but it's pretty handy. Exhaust makes a nice sound when you get on it, got kind of a buzz but not in a fart can way. I just hope this new pentastar motor ends up being as strong as it seems. Luckily I still have 4.5 years of warranty left...

In any case, thank you guys for your help and advice. It was fun, and honestly if I would've gotten the promotion I was expecting at work I would've kept my GXP but since we're still not getting a lot of work they're holding out. >.<
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Launching!

nice ride, what motor?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rm08gxp
nice ride, what motor?
It has the new Pentastar 3.6l V6 with VVT and cylinder deactivation. I was actually impressed with its performance. It's kinda slow to pick up but once it breaks two grand it'll skeet. The trans is kinda laggy too but it's a Benz unit so even if it takes three years to shift i figure it's of decent quality. It's no Viper but it'll move, and for a V6 it lays down an appreciable amount of rubber.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Just slap a turbo on it once you get bored with the power. Your car would make a great sleeper!

How much did they give you for the gxp?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Just slap a turbo on it once you get bored with the power. Your car would make a great sleeper!

How much did they give you for the gxp?
I got 13.5 on trade and kept my mouth shut about the trans. I owed 14.5, but the value of the chally ate that so I felt comfortable with doing it. The aftermarket for these cars is a whole lot better. There's a Mopar CAI i'll be slapping on in a few weeks. I'm almost kind of glad the GXP went when it did, I had just got my income tax return back and I was honestly thinking about doing the TEP upgrade but when it started slipping it made me think twice about sinking that kind of money into that old of a car, especially with the fact that I just spent $800 on front hubs and my tires were close to being ate up again. Coupled with the fact that I barely cleared $27k last year at my job, I figured my safest bet would be to get something with a warranty I can lean on until my promotion comes in, wait till the warranty runs out, and by that time I'll be able to spend a little money to have a little fun And yeah I've already looked into turbos, they really wake this motor up. We'll see what happens. For now I just have the cai and some tint planned. I miss the 20% on my gxp lol
Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

And for what it's worth I drove by the lot a week ago where I traded the car at and seen it out front, I actually drove in and looked at it for a minute. Felt like one of those moments where you see a girl in high school you fell in love with a long time ago and you feel one of those faint pangs of what might've been in your chest...

Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Is it just me or does the front bumper on the Challenger look like it has been repainted? looks different than your fender. Nice car though.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It likely came like that. The new camaros are notorious for having off shade paint on the bumpers and spoilers. It happens because the bumpers are painted at a different location than the body of the car. Hence different mix, ect. If it were repainted after the fact, I would expect to see blending and not a color difference on the entire panel. The effect is more pronounced due to the metallic in the paint. Beautiful car!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see it being very difficult to swap a built HEMI in there, maybe a nice 426...that'd be a hell of a sleeper

Just FWI, I'm an engine core supplier and rarely does such a late model engine like the pentastar 3.6 that came out for '10 make it to me after just 2 years...but I'm buying a ton of the pentastars and there on almost every order I get

But I drove a new wrangler that had the pentastar and I was really pleased with its power
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
It likely came like that. The new camaros are notorious for having off shade paint on the bumpers and spoilers. It happens because the bumpers are painted at a different location than the body of the car. Hence different mix, ect. If it were repainted after the fact, I would expect to see blending and not a color difference on the entire panel. The effect is more pronounced due to the metallic in the paint. Beautiful car!
Wrong. It looks like that because of the material quality of the bumper itself. Paint mix is the same. Same thing happens with a lot of cars, even 4th gen f-bodies.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
Wrong. It looks like that because of the material quality of the bumper itself. Paint mix is the same. Same thing happens with a lot of cars, even 4th gen f-bodies.
But you would agree that it's not a repaint, correct?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaman
Agreed just look at a C5, especially after they've had some time to sit in the sun.

I'd doubt that is was a repaint. I don't see how anyone could be certain unless They see it in person...pictures are deceiving
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People who pick a car apart through a picture **** me off....congrats gxpintn everyone who wants to nitpick **** off. The threads not called tell me why my car sucks.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gxpintn
I loved the **** out of my GXP. Unfortunately, my transmission started slipping about a month ago. I spent some good time weighing the pros and cons, especially whether or not I wanted to drop two grand into a car without a warranty. I guess I should've considered that when I bought it, but unfortunately I fell in love with the idea of a big motor in a Grand Prix when I first purchased it. So after a lot of thought, I traded it in for this.

Unfortunately my pockets were not deep enough to afford the R/T or (what I really wanted) the SRT-8. However it makes decent power, albeit at high rpm- 305HP @ 6300, 260-something ft-lb tq @ 4800 i believe. And it gets crazy gas mileage (26 mpg avg ) and rides like a Cadillac to boot. It's a 2011, 11k miles, final price was like $23k. Shifts fine in automatic mode, tends to bang when you're in autostick. The voice controlled multimedia center is a little rusty but it's pretty handy. Exhaust makes a nice sound when you get on it, got kind of a buzz but not in a fart can way. I just hope this new pentastar motor ends up being as strong as it seems. Luckily I still have 4.5 years of warranty left...

In any case, thank you guys for your help and advice. It was fun, and honestly if I would've gotten the promotion I was expecting at work I would've kept my GXP but since we're still not getting a lot of work they're holding out. >.<

Beautiful car! Love those Challengers i don't care if they are heavy, they look almost like the ones back in the 70s. Definitely a head turner. What do you plan on doing to it mod wise?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

I noticed the difference in the color too. I've seen it on almost every Challenger I've come across- both the front and rear clips are like that. I assume they look different because they're likely fiberglass and the rest of the car is sheet metal (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and maybe the paint looks differently on one as opposed to the other or something… I've seen other cars that have this same issue although it wasn't as pronounced. It doesn't really bother me, you can only tell if you look at it a certain way.

For mods I've been kinda biding my time for now, stuff for the new motors is just now coming out. Mopar makes a CAI that we can stuff in there that's factory (and warranty) approved- it's pretty much for looks though as the airbox for the chally is used across all three motors and it's optimized for airflow. So that, a tune, Hurst shift kit, exhaust... and against all odds I actually got the promotion at work so hopefully a turbo as well.

But thanks for the compliments guys!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Enjoy it man. Congrats again on the new car
Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Launching!

highly doubt it's fiberglass, usually polyurethane

but congrats on the car!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gxpintn
for a V6 it lays down an appreciable amount of rubber.
give us a video of it in action. i know its pointless, but who doesnt like a good smoke show.