Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PCV/ Catch Can help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV/ Catch Can help please.

Sorry for putting a starter question up here but after many searches I am unable to get a grip on this. I have the Vortech Gtrim installed with the after cooler (havent run yet) and I am trying to figure out how to run a catch can. The port that comes off the intake elbow is suppused to run to the PCV according to the install insructions. I am worried about blowing a seal. I found a couple catch cans on ebay but my question is the routing of line and the order. Any help would be great.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
9 Second Club

This may help:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, My question is, If I run a line from the TB to a Catch can and then to the valve cover port (shown in the thread you attached) do I still need my PCV on the back of the valve covers?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Block off the intake manifold pcv port. You just need to vent the rocker covers to the catch can. You can run a line from the catch can to the inlet of the blower if you wish to pull vacuum.

Last edited by conan; 03-04-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

my vacuum ref. is just after my air filter before the turbo. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

So if I ran a catch can from the throttle body port to the intake before the sc and put a oil cap breather on would that be good?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Unless im miss understanding something. You want positive crank ventilation (pcv) right.

You want to run from the breathers of your valve covers to one or two catch cans. You run a reference before your S/C so you have vacuum on the catch can drawing on the valve cover to help vent the crank. If you put your reference after the S/C you would be running boost into you catch can boosting your crank case (Exactly what you dont want).

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sean1997ws6
So if I ran a catch can from the throttle body port to the intake before the sc and put a oil cap breather on would that be good?
Forget about the intake manifold, block it off. The intake port provides vacuume to the rocker cover in a N/A application. If you run a line from your intake manifold to the catch can it would only provide vacuume out of boost. When you go into boost you be blowing boost in to the catch can then in to the rocker covers.

Here's my old thread on this issue alot of good pic's and setups...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rs-inside.html

Originally Posted by nodrok
Unless im miss understanding something. You want positive crank ventilation (pcv) right.

You want to run from the breathers of your valve covers to one or two catch cans. You run a reference before your S/C so you have vacuum on the catch can drawing on the valve cover to help vent the crank. If you put your reference after the S/C you would be running boost into you catch can boosting your crank case (Exactly what you dont want).

Hope this helps.
Yes ^^^^

Last edited by conan; 03-05-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

So would this catch can work running a line from the intake tube (After the MAF sensor) to a catch can then to the valve covers I would be good right? Sorry guys i had no idea I was going to have to do this.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-T6061-AL...16b443&vxp=mtr

This can
Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

So would this catch can work running a line from the intake tube (After the MAF sensor) to a catch can then to the valve covers I would be good right? Sorry guys i had no idea I was going to have to do this.
so i understand this--the line you have running to the intake tube,does this line produce vacuum.. if it does it will not pull anything from the Valve covers since the filter is open to the atmosphere...just my thoughts..im a newbie here to learn also
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tta656
so i understand this--the line you have running to the intake tube,does this line produce vacuum.. if it does it will not pull anything from the Valve covers since the filter is open to the atmosphere...just my thoughts..im a newbie here to learn also
Your forgetting air flow my friend. Air flowing past you reference line running to your catch can will draw air out of the line via suction. We all started some where guys no big deal. Dont let some of the ****** on this site get you down. But their advice can save you a lot of time and money. Doing a search abd checking the stickies do provide a lot of help.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

That catch can will work. I would get one without a breather so you have more draw out of the valve covers. Thats JMO though.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

will this routing be good for me?
Attached Thumbnails PCV/ Catch Can help please.-pcv-1ls1extfi.jpg  
Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tta656

You guys have N/A on the brain. The reason the OEM PCV system is plumbed into the intake manifold is because when the intake vale (in the head) is open and the piston is going down on the intake stroke it is sucking air from the throttle body and the PCV nipple on the front of the intake. This "sucking" the engine is producing is helping the crank case gasses to be pulled from the rocker covers and then drawn in to the combustion process. If you just removed the entire PCV system the crank case pressure would just get pushed out of the engine. So the vacuum from the intake manifold is just to aid in removing the crank case pressure.

Now we throw boost (positive pressure) all the way from the head unit to the intake manifold. Now instead of having vacuum at the MAF/TB/intake/pcv nipple you have positive pressure (boost). So in order to get a vacuum we have to move to the inlet/suction side of the blower. Any time the blower is spinning it is sucking in air, faster you spin it the more suction it produces.

So the way I have my vented catch can (looks like your link) hooked up is like this... Block off the intake manifold port, block off the rear driver rocker cover port. I have one hose from the rear driver valve cover to the can, and one hose from the front passenger valve cover to the can. I don't pull vacuum from my blower hat yet, I would have to remove the vent from my catch can.

So all that being said you will want a sealed catch can if you want to pull vacuum from the blower to the can. Or a vented catch can (like your link) and just let the crank case pressure blow itself in to the can, venting the gasses out the little filter and catching the oil in the can.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by conan
You guys have N/A on the brain. The reason the OEM PCV system is plumbed into the intake manifold is because when the intake vale (in the head) is open and the piston is going down on the intake stroke it is sucking air from the throttle body and the PCV nipple on the front of the intake. This "sucking" the engine is producing is helping the crank case gasses to be pulled from the rocker covers and then drawn in to the combustion process. If you just removed the entire PCV system the crank case pressure would just get pushed out of the engine. So the vacuum from the intake manifold is just to aid in removing the crank case pressure.

Now we throw boost (positive pressure) all the way from the head unit to the intake manifold. Now instead of having vacuum at the MAF/TB/intake/pcv nipple you have positive pressure (boost). So in order to get a vacuum we have to move to the inlet/suction side of the blower. Any time the blower is spinning it is sucking in air, faster you spin it the more suction it produces.

So the way I have my vented catch can (looks like your link) hooked up is like this... Block off the intake manifold port, block off the rear driver rocker cover port. I have one hose from the rear driver valve cover to the can, and one hose from the front passenger valve cover to the can. I don't pull vacuum from my blower hat yet, I would have to remove the vent from my catch can.

So all that being said you will want a sealed catch can if you want to pull vacuum from the blower to the can. Or a vented catch can (like your link) and just let the crank case pressure blow itself in to the can, venting the gasses out the little filter and catching the oil in the can.
Do you have any milky substance inside your valve cover? Your way will work the nice thing about a vented catch can is some of the water will evaporate resulting in less draining. However i still feel the vacuum assist is going to only better your results for ventilation.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Cut diagram. lol. No need for the pcv valve. You can run a line from each valve cover to a T then to the catch can. Then the line from the catch can to your intake side of turbo as shown in your diagram. Block off the TB port not needed either. This is simpler than your diagram.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

You could do that as well, the thing I didn't like about that setup is you can pull oil into the turbo/blower inlet. So by removing the intake manifold and check vale from the mix and sucking on a sealed catch can you would still pull the air out of the rocker covers and the can would catch the oil instead of that **** going right down to the head unit.

Originally Posted by nodrok
Do you have any milky substance inside your valve cover? Your way will work the nice thing about a vented catch can is some of the water will evaporate resulting in less draining. However i still feel the vacuum assist is going to only better your results for ventilation.
Nothing milky, I do get some condensation and some oil in the can but not to much. I think a sealed unit would get a little milky because it traps everything and holds it -as you stated.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

This attachment is a sealed can system. I you buy the vented can just remove the hose to the head unit in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails PCV/ Catch Can help please.-pcv.jpg  
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

I ran a -10 line from each valve cover to a separate catch can.

Quick Reply: PCV/ Catch Can help please.