Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Noise in Head ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Noise in Head ?

Okay so I have a 99 camaro ss and it has a tsp228r with .600 springs and hardend push rods. All the valve train has around 4k miles on it. Car/engine has 135k

I ran the car hard last weekend and at the end of the day I made some hot laps..
don't drive the car during the week and I went back to the track this past Sunday and my first pass was average for me and the car the second pass same 60ft worse et lost 2 mph
third run I bested my 60ft since I has the car and ran one of the worst ets ever.. and lost another 2mph for a total of about 5 over my best mph..
after the 3rd pass it started the noise.. you can hear it inside the car very well and my car is dyno matted and it gets louder and quieter with rpm.

I'll try to attach a video, it sounds like its coming from the head.. I've watched tons of videos and I can't place the sound..
I also plan on pulling the valve cover today and just wanted any insight before I did so.
Thanks a lot for any help

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...S/6b4cece9.mp4
Old 03-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

if you cant see the video and you want to put your .02 cents in pm me and I can get it to you somehow .
Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Diagnosing taped sounds is a crap shoot, but it sounds like a broken/bent valvetrain component (spring, pushrod) to me.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Darkman
Diagnosing taped sounds is a crap shoot, but it sounds like a broken/bent valvetrain component (spring, pushrod) to me.
Agreed. I'd start with the simple stuff. If you have narrowed it down or are almost positive it's coming from the head I would start by pulling pushrods and other valve train components
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

I took off the valve cover tonight and i didnt see any broken springs or any bad rockers or anything.. didnt pull the push rods or anything though..

before i took off the valve cover i did take a screwdriver and put it on the cover and put my ear to the platic end and i didnt really hear anything.. (just an old trick i heard about.. i know a stethoscope would have been better)

it leads me to think or believe it may actually be a rod bearing or main bearing... one day when i have more time ill get a stethoscope and listen around and under the car and ill actually pull the push rods and inspect them.