Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 ls1 valvetrain noise after hitting rev limiter

Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ls1 valvetrain noise after hitting rev limiter

Well I just did an ls6 manifold and m6 swap so my car has been a freakin animal, the other night I jumped on it and spun into 2nd hard and bounced off limiter when I lifted off the gas after shifting into 3rd my car had a bazar ticking noise ...I know the normal noises these cars make and it wasn't normal!!

Oil pressure dropped a little lower than usual so I pulled over to make sure everything was visually fine and listened to it a little better, it started to go away by the time I got home 20 minutes later it was fine ...started it up this morning and no unusual noises ...

I left work today and got on it out of the parking lot and bounced off limiter accidentally, I could here it ticking instantly so I let off and didn't even go into 2nd..I cruised it the whole way home and jumped on it but didn't bounce off limiter and it was there just not as bad

So the ticking is resulted from rev limiter , but goes away after driving it for a bit...anyone know what this is???

I know it's not a bent pushrod cause it would be there all the time, valve spring or broken rocker would also be there all the time

Is it begining stages of bad litters ???
Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd "guess" a lifters plunger is sticking down in a lifters and then finally popping back up where it belongs
Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was just OLD lifters....i thought it was something more..but just old lifters 156k lifters lol
Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear it wasn't anything else, but shame we have to pull heads to get to our lifters lol

If you still have the heads off I'd recomend a valve job and cleanup mill while you have it apart.

Then when you go to put it back together get new headbolts and make sure the bolt holes are clean and dry
Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you bounced off the limiter a few times did you also check and make sure the pushrods are still straight? Sometimes they can bend in that situation if they are still stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 ls1 valvetrain noise after hitting rev limiter