Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Degreeing in ms4, necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Degreeing in ms4, necessary?

I'm new here, and helping my buddy with his build. It's a stock cubes ls1 with prc heads and ms4 cam. I've never degreed cams on a pushrods motor before only 4.6 mustangs. Any how too's on here? And if it's off is there any way to adjust it? Mustangs you just grind the key way, but doesn't look like you can do that on this. I was reading that a lot of people have not degrees cams just did dot to dot with no I'll effects. But being such a large cam i would think degreeing is necessary.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I think it's always a good idea to check it. If you have all the tools, it's pretty easy and quick. As long as the heads are off that is.
The only way to adjust with the stock gears is to get an offset bushing kit for the cam gear. Requires the pin hole and the bolt holes to be enlarged. Other method would be to use a Cloyes Hex Adjust set.

Ron
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You would need a adjustable timing gear to adjust if needed I never used the offset bushing. Also think comp cams has a good right up on there website on degree camshafts.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 PM

The heads are already on it unfortunately. I'll ask him which timing set he has and see if it's even possible to adjust.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Ok this is his timing chain setup:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...chain-package/

From the looks of it it's adjustable. So now I just gotta look up a how to on checking it and we'll be back in business.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bottled2v
The heads are already on it unfortunately. I'll ask him which timing set he has and see if it's even possible to adjust.
You can degree with the heads on no problem, just stick an adjustable pushrod in the hole with the dial indicator on the end of it - a good trick Mr. Mamo taught me is to take the short end off of the pushrod and thread a nut 1/2 way on the long part - this will give the end of the indicator a cup to sit in. You also need a piston stop to find TDC and a way to mount the dial indicator base. Oh, and obviously an adjustable timing set...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 AM

would you possibly use something like a cut stock pushrod or something of that sort?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to Piston to Valve Clearence and Cam Degreeing.

- Any cam grinder or sponsor will tell you it is always recommended to check both. To ensure the cam is what it is as we can assume the info told to us is correct, and to ensure the cam is not ground "off".

Ultimately the choice falls on the owner. Most times he will be fine but there are times where it can be a "critical" error.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was my experience that mine was 2.5 deg advanced. It's really your call. Read your cam card. It will tell you if it is advanced or not. Some people want it that way for more power shifted lower in the revs. I, personally wanted all that top end. So I put it back to as close to zero as I could.

Otherwise, if you don't care and trust them, just don't even bother to degree. Checking P to V on the other hand should be a priority.

Quick Reply: Degreeing in ms4, necessary?