Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Manual vs Electronic Boost controllers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Manual vs Electronic Boost controllers...

____After dynoing the initial setup at 11psi on the spring, the dyno operator told me I needed a boost controller. So, I did some quick research and found that the price/benefit/recommendations dictated something like the AEM Truboost since I liked the variability of it, multiple customer preset boost levels, history(max boost attained) and other variabilities. I'd enjoyed it for the past 3 years but after swapping the transmissions a couple of times (I have a built TH350 and a heavy duty T56/Spec stage 4 setup), I noticed that the wastegate appeared to be opening too soon.

____Reading up about it, I found that there are two types of boost controllers (in general) "Bleeders" and "Gated". Most of you knowledgeable types are rolling your eyes and whispering "duh..". Well, in talking with Bryan Herter of PCM4Less tuning fame, he said he was a fan of Manuals because the boost ramps up more quickly, since they don't have a solenoid bleeding off pressure in a linear fashion, up to peak boost setting.

____With that in mind, I bought a Turbosmart manual (Boost Tee) and installed it, thinking "I'll just insert it where I had the solenoid for the AEM Truboost. What could be different?". Well, a lot actually. Where as the AEM setting was 15 psi and I have 14lbs spring in the wastegate, I thought I'd just set the Manual Boost Tee to the lowest setting possible and take her for a good old drive. Holy sh*t... 18psi every time. This confounded me for the past 3 months but I wasn't driving it much because it's the Winter and I'm in upstate NY.

____Finally, I went looking around in google for "Overboost Manual Boost Controller Turbosmart". I found several guys like myself, suffering from the same issue. So I finally went to Turbosmarts site and looked for help there. One of the links was the install .pdf (The device came with a mini-dvd of instructions but my Netbook doesn't have a dvd/cd drive so it was useless). Well I'll be. There it is in the .pdf.

____You can't hook it up the same as the AEM Truboost. You have to pipe the pressure point (outlet of Turbo for me) straight to the Boost Tee with nothing else on that line, then from the boost Tee port labeled "Wastegate" to the BOTTOM of the two Waste gate ports (Leaving the top port to 'vent to atmosphere'). I just got everything rerouted and took her for a test drive. 14.5 PSI on the lowest setting. Much better.

____Yesterday, before I got this rerouted, I was on the freeway when a Turbo WRX Subaru drifted up the on-ramp and got beside me. I thought, "hmmm.. I wonder... He looks young so maybe...", but he didn't do anything right away. We were more or less in proximity to each other for the next 3 miles, then we both ended up taking the same ramp to another freeway. As I slowly moved up closer to him as we made it thru traffic at last, we were going about 55mph. I was in 5th.. then, while he's still out about 2 cars ahead of me, he hits the gas. I fumble for the shifter, and downshift to 4th and floor it. Third would have had me leaping up on him but I thought, "ah well, let's just wind out in fourth and see..". Once I got up into some decent boost, I pulled hard up on him but he let off right as I pulled beside him. I tried to get his attention to let us drop down to about 40 and do the 3 honks thing but the guy wouldn't look at me for nothing. For the next 3 miles I tried to get him to look at me. Lol.. Ah well.

____I then punched the 'History button' on the AEM TruBoost (even the manual is in the circuit, the AEM truboost still monitors manifold pressure). Yikes! 18.9psi....

____Even at the current sub 15psi, the car has me shaking from adrenaline when I wind it out fully in 3rd and 4th gears. Love Turbos!!!

Quick Reply: Manual vs Electronic Boost controllers...