Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why TFE Paste??Dave??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why TFE Paste??Dave??

My question is why do you need to use teflon paste with AN fittings??? The threads don't do the sealing.The fittings are flared that doe's the sealing.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:40 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you referring to the AN fittings that you screw into the rail? You should use paste on the NPT threads, but I've never had to use paste on the AN side. Like you said, the flare does all the work.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No dont use paste at all.AN fittings,should not have anything used on them.On the pipe threaded fittings use loctite.
Dave
Old 03-22-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Performance
No dont use paste at all.AN fittings,should not have anything used on them.On the pipe threaded fittings use loctite.
Dave
You don't want to use teflon on N2O anyway. I think if I remember correctly nitrous will eat away at the teflon and make your leak more aparent.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats what I thought.Thanks everyone. Locktite-Doe's it matter which grade??I guess the blue stuff so you can get it the fittings apart easier.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by snketr
You don't want to use teflon on N2O anyway. I think if I remember correctly nitrous will eat away at the teflon and make your leak more aparent.

WOW!!!! When I called TNT they said that the bottle nut washer is made out of teflon not plastic! Why would they put a teflon washer in there if n20 eats it up???Come to think of it my bottle gauge that came with the kit(pre-installed to the manifold using teflon paste). I know that the Natural Gas eats teflon. Thats why you don't use it on gas pipe!
Old 03-24-2004, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Performance
Dave
That's correct.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:24 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Teflon paste can be eroded over time. The teflon washer is a rather beefy piece of teflon and it isn't going to disappear any time soon. You'll wear the threads on the AN side of the bottle nut out before you wear the teflon seal out.

As far as loctite goes, there is a special grade of loctite they do recommend. If I remember correctly it is a different part number then Loctite Red or Blue. A quick call to NX or TNT might clear that all up for you.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks....I will have to talk to TNT again this will be the forth time I called them about this kit . They really need to update there instructions!!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmm.. i have never had issue with paste.. either will work fine IMO just a matter of choice.. .you dont' want to use the tape due to potential debris getting into the orifice causing a restriction...

Quick Reply: Why TFE Paste??Dave??