LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

valve body

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default valve body

anyone replace just their valve body to see if that fixes the transmission before having to replace it?
i know its a lot of work with its location, but all the issues at least from what i'm reading all start in the valve body... TEP has an upgraded one that is suppose to fix most of the short comings.
mines starting to act up, but figure 300 dollars and a crap load of work is a little easier to swallow then 1800 and a lot of work or paying someone to do it.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
anyone replace just their valve body to see if that fixes the transmission before having to replace it?
i know its a lot of work with its location, but all the issues at least from what i'm reading all start in the valve body... TEP has an upgraded one that is suppose to fix most of the short comings.
mines starting to act up, but figure 300 dollars and a crap load of work is a little easier to swallow then 1800 and a lot of work or paying someone to do it.
If you're already having problems, then it's too late to only do the valve body. Your trans need a full rebuild.

I put a TEP valve body into a newly-remanufactured trans GM put in my car under warranty. I also bought the long seal kit, shift kit, and a new converter. We've put 54,000 miles on it since then, and it's been flawless.

So yes, to answer your question, you can do just a valve body, but your trans has to be trouble-free to begin with.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The TCC is also a big issue the dod constantly causes your tcc to cycle which causes unneccerry stress. The Sonnax relief valve can cure this. Bus as ls1 said its best to start these uprgrade on a flawlwess trans, if not your just delaying the inevitable. And if your under warranty you could delay it til its out of warranty and you dont want that.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
The TCC is also a big issue the dod constantly causes your tcc to cycle which causes unneccerry stress. The Sonnax relief valve can cure this. Bus as ls1 said its best to start these uprgrade on a flawlwess trans, if not your just delaying the inevitable. And if your under warranty you could delay it til its out of warranty and you dont want that.
i was thinking the tcc was part of the valve body.

but yeah i've been having issues for awhile and its seems like its getting worse every day, just started doing the rpm surge over 40 mph... i was going to do a tune up and check the maf but i'm really thinking its a trans issue.
no warranty, cars almost paid off so really dont want to go trade it in.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Forgot to mention the Sonnax relief valve...I had that done, too, and it's the key, along with the long seal kit, for preventing our problems from happening again.

i was thinking the tcc was part of the valve body.
Not trying to be jerk or anything, but if you're not sure about where the TCC is, you probably shouldn't be tearing into your transmission on your own.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your getting the surge issue its too late your due for a total rebuild. Give tep a call and he will tell you your next step.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Not trying to be jerk or anything, but if you're not sure about where the TCC is, you probably shouldn't be tearing into your transmission on your own.
your talking about the torque convert control solenoids correct? thats part of the upgrade TEP valve body, i guess technically its not part of the valve body but it does hook into it.
or were you referring to the clutch itself... if so my bad i wasnt aware that was the issue i thought it was more the solenoids.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

your talking about the torque convert control solenoids correct? thats part of the upgrade TEP valve body, i guess technically its not part of the valve body but it does hook into it.
or were you referring to the clutch itself... if so my bad i wasnt aware that was the issue i thought it was more the solenoids.
TCC = Torque Converter Clutch

Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The solenoid is what cause the clutch to eventualy go bad.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The solenoid is what cause the clutch to eventualy go bad.
that makes sense.

Quick Reply: valve body