Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

ws6 hood just painted, how long before a full detail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ws6 hood just painted, how long before a full detail?

hello all. i tried to search this and couldnt get a straight answer one way or another. my question is this: my hood was painted by a body shop in a booth on feb 26th. looks amazing! but i want to hand wash, wax, and completely detail her inside out. how long do i need to wait before i :A) wash, B) wax, C) is there specific products that can and cant used for "X" about of time. i have read that it should be fine because it cured overnight in the booth, and then i read 30 days, and 1 guy even wrote 90 days. could someone please give me a straight answer... thanks in advance for the help!

Bruce
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Auto detailing sites blocked at work but go on Autogeek or Meguiars to see. I have read at least 30 days and sometimes up to 90. Its about allowing the hood to cure and release properly.

Also a to mention that the term "Body Shop Safe" products may help. I cant do any indepth research at work but start there.

When mine was done, it was Mid December and I parked the car till March so I never worried.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually people will tell you 90 days. I was told it depends where the car spends it's time. If it's kept in a garage, probably 90 days. If it sits out all day in the sun, curing time would go down.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

it depends on if it was baked/cured after painting in a both??
Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted a panel on a buddy's car in a 60 degree garage during the winter. Sprayed the base and clear in the garage. Car sat there for a few days for the clear to harden (you can wetsand clear in 24 hours usually, depends). We left the orange peel for then, he drove the car for about a month before we block sanded the orange peel out. Wetsanded, polished, and then put a coat of wax on it, after a month of it being outside in 40 degree weather.

I can't tell you if this is TEXTBOOK body work timing, but it has not flaked off or anything crazy like that, and it still looks great. I wouldn't touch it with anything for at least 30 days. A lot of these washes now are "Wash & Wax" and I don't know what's in them/if they can damage the finish. It's gonna suck but at least wait until April. Leave the hood out where it gets some sun, or if it's on the car, leave the car outside for a few hours a day (all of this providing it WASN'T baked on). If anything just tape the hood off and detail the rest of your car to keep yourself busy!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Launching!

i talked to the body shop they said it was baked on and should be ready for a full detail...
Old 03-11-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait 30 days before you seal/wax it....

Quick Reply: ws6 hood just painted, how long before a full detail?