PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tricks to getting PCM back in place (2002 WS6)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Any tricks to getting PCM back in place (2002 WS6)?

I removed the PCM out of it's cubbyhole on the passenger side of the engine compartment to install the Autotrix passenger window rewire kit since my passenger window won't go up.

Anyway, the instructions call for removing the PCM so that you can pass power wires through a rubber grommet under/behind the PCM. The instructions had me unbolt the plastic mounting bracket and then pull the PCM out. It was a real PITA to remove.

Now it's time to get the PCM back in place. I've tried putting the bracket back into it's cubbyhole (leaving it loose) and then putting the PCM in. I can't get the PCM in. The car is in the way. It's like the car was built around the PCM . I tried installing the PCM in the bracket and then installing. No way; it's too big.

I gave up for the night since I was getting pretty upset and I knew that I'd start breaking things. Anybody got any tricks to get this thing back in?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like you said, put the plastic mounting bracket in first and leave it loose then put the pcm in and work them both in and your gonna have to pull up on the plastic piece above where wipers attach to and keep working that. It takes a littlr bit but take your time so you don't damage anything cause their is vacuum hoses behind it. As soo as you get them both in make sure the pcm slides into the correct slots on the plastic bracket and their is also a slot on the plastic bracket that catches on a piece of medal on the back of the strut tower. Take your time and clear your head and get back to it( i find it harder when im pissed of and I break more **** then I go off and its worse). It'll take some time but keep working everything together and itll fall in. I hope that helped. Good luck
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by white99ta!!
Just like you said, put the plastic mounting bracket in first and leave it loose then put the pcm in and work them both in and your gonna have to pull up on the plastic piece above where wipers attach to and keep working that. It takes a littlr bit but take your time so you don't damage anything cause their is vacuum hoses behind it. As soo as you get them both in make sure the pcm slides into the correct slots on the plastic bracket and their is also a slot on the plastic bracket that catches on a piece of medal on the back of the strut tower. Take your time and clear your head and get back to it( i find it harder when im pissed of and I break more **** then I go off and its worse). It'll take some time but keep working everything together and itll fall in. I hope that helped. Good luck
Thanks, white. It helps. I'm glad that I decided to leave it alone for the night because I'm sure that I was gonna break something if I didn't quit .
Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I finally got it back into place without completely destroying things. It didn't go easily, though.

I was fighting with it again and was really starting to get POd. I finally decided to unbolt both of the big wiring harnesses. Once I removed them, the PCM easily slid into place . I reconnected the battery and then had to reenter the stereo code and all was well.

Quick Reply: Any tricks to getting PCM back in place (2002 WS6)?