Sponsored by:

NEED HELP QUICK Question !

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED HELP QUICK Question !

2001 chevy 1500 with the 4.8 ls motor.

I have a few friends that went down to bike week in florida. They just broke exhaust valve spring and droped the valve and it came in contact with the piston. The valve is bent but not broken. Could they pull the rockers off on that cylinder and keep on driving? Find a way to wire up the exhaust valve? Maybe unplug that fuel injector on that cylinder ? Should they pull the spark plug on that cylinder ?

let me know im trying to help a few friends in need.

thanks

Tyler
Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you know how far its down, they maybe lucky and its bent into the combustion chamber. You can "shut" the cyl down, unplug the injector harness. and [pull the spark plug and any applicable/damaged spring.

You can drive it, but its purely short term. It needs to get to a garage.

Post this in FL regional section, maybe a local has the room/tools for them to pull the head and get it to a shop.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Unless you know how far its down, they maybe lucky and its bent into the combustion chamber. You can "shut" the cyl down, unplug the injector harness. and [pull the spark plug and any applicable/damaged spring.

You can drive it, but its purely short term. It needs to get to a garage.

Post this in FL regional section, maybe a local has the room/tools for them to pull the head and get it to a shop.
the truck is at a dealer now, they checked it with a bore scope it does look bent at the chamber. The piston looks beat up but not broken. How long do you think the lifters would live on that cylinder ? Or could you use magnets maybe to hold them up and off the cam ?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is nothing pushing the lifter it should be fine but I see your worry about it getting wiped out. I mean how is this guy expecting to get the car home, how many miles??

He may luck out and the cam will slap the lifter up into the retainers but I would still try to "tie" it up in place. Make its a "Dead" Cyl.

I think the guy is looking at a good chance of "windowing" the block with a busted piston.

With the motor running and vibrations, not sure how strong a magnet needs to be to hold it. It would need something to hold it up and into the lifter tray.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Launching!

im just afraid of the lifter breaking the lifter tray and it spinning in the lifter bore and wiping out a cam lobe. The thing about the magnet is it would have to fit under the valve cover.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could pull the rocker off that cylinder and unhook the injector and coil i see no need to pull the plug i would actually leave it in myself but there is a chance the lifter could break the tray and jump out then you will lose oil pressure and the motor wont last long then also driving it like that is going to destroy the cam and lifter and maybe even the block if i was out somewhere and it happened to me i would try and drive it because it will be cheaper to change the motor then to fix it and there is a chance it will make it home and if it does it will be alot cheaper then a tow lol
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lifter should stay up if the rocker and push rod are pulled, once the cam spins it will push the lifter into the retainer, I would be worried about the piston coming apart on the way home but then again, depending on the mileage tows are damn expensive. 4.8L's can be pulled reasonably cheap from a wrecking yard, Its probably going to need head work to fix the guide/install a new valve/new spring/regrind the seat/install a new piston/rings/gaskets easily a 500 dollar fix if you do the work yourself. Any way at this point and its easier and cheaper just to pull a junk yard motor and install. So I say run it, if it blows up 200 miles up the road that's 200 less miles the thing has to be towed. Just tell the guy to take it easy on it and it might make it home.