Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump changed, now fuel gauge is inaccurate

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Fuel pump changed, now fuel gauge is inaccurate

I just had the fuel pump changed which seemed to fix the slow prime on cold start, and seemed to restore unknown lost power! But since that time, the fuel gauge is inaccurate (gassed it up, gauge was in-between 3/4 and F, where it would be 2MM beyond F previously).

So I took it back to the dealer, and they tried another fuel pump which gave the same results. Turns out the new fuel sending units on the new pumps put out less OHMS than the original one I had (old one registered 103OHM, new one 90OHM which GM says is normal).

They tried to "tweak" the float for the sender and it seems better (won't know for sure until I gas up again). Has anyone else had this issue with an LT1 car that had a new fuel pump installed? If so, can anything be done about it (I was thinking about opening the gauge cluster and put the needle where I think it should be when full). Thanks!

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 03-08-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ What year car? The sending unit for the gauge is a separate circuit from the pump. It may have been possible that they bent the level sensor's arm upon removal/install. Or else there's a dead spot on the sending unit. If they tweaked it and it seems better, they probably bent it to begin with. Not really hard to do if you're not careful.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ What year car? The sending unit for the gauge is a separate circuit from the pump. It may have been possible that they bent the level sensor's arm upon removal/install. Or else there's a dead spot on the sending unit. If they tweaked it and it seems better, they probably bent it to begin with. Not really hard to do if you're not careful.
Sorry.....1997 Formula LT1. I asked if the tweak involved bending the float arm back, they said no. They also ordered a new pump/sending unit to see if it was the sending unit portion on the pump (they told me both pumps did the same thing, so they reinstalled the "first" new pump that originally came in).
Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

^ It should be pretty much the same thing. (LT/LS bucket/tank setups)

Unless the cleaned the contacts on the sending unit.. But I'm thinking they're full of ****. They bent the arm and they don't want to admit a small screw up. I don't trust dealerships at all and their "warranty" crap is a whole different rant.

The level sender is on the right.. That has to be "tipped" into the tank first and you have to be careful to not bend it when taking it out.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ It should be pretty much the same thing. (LT/LS bucket/tank setups)

Unless the cleaned the contacts on the sending unit.. But I'm thinking they're full of ****. They bent the arm and they don't want to admit a small screw up. I don't trust dealerships at all and their "warranty" crap is a whole different rant.

The level sender is on the right.. That has to be "tipped" into the tank first and you have to be careful to not bend it when taking it out.
sigh..........and they dropped the tank down TWICE (once to replace the pump, and the second time was to troubleshoot why the gauge was not all the way to F when actually full). They told me the new pump came with a new sending unit (which registered at 90-OHMS vs 103-OHMS on the original sending unit). So now what should I do???
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Not sure if the LT1's came with the sending unit or not. I know they're separate on the LS cars.

Maybe an LT1 owner could chime in.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 AM

yes lt1 cars did come with the same unit
Old 10-03-2015, 11:12 AM

I had trouble with mine to in the fuel tank there's a "dip" in the rear wall I found it and my sending unit laid easily to bolt up if you have to fight in anyway, shape or form to tighten down the sending unit on the top of the gas tank then its sitting inside the tank incorrectly

Quick Reply: Fuel pump changed, now fuel gauge is inaccurate