Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Guys/Gals, I have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Guys/Gals, I have some questions

Right nowI have about 53k miles on the car. With the way it is looking, I will probably have 150k miles by the time she is paid for. Just how long do LS1's last? Will she still be running strong by then? I make sure that she is well taken care of and about 75% of her miles are on the freeways.

Should I start saving up for another LS1 or maybe LS6 engine? I hope I never have to part with her, but I can't predict the future either. It can't be too hard to have an engine swap. If the mileage does get really high (over 150k) would it be "safe" to take it to a place like MTI and have them bore it out into their 427 package? They would be pretty much rebuilding and with brand new machined parts. Would the block be ok? All of this would be after the car is paid in full of course.

As far as mods go, when is it time to stop modding? I don't plan on doing any serious mods, but at what mileage is it best to stop and leave her alone? All I am considering is a better suspension, headers, high flow cats (have to pass sniffer), ported T/B, maybe a better intake manifold, SSRA or FTRA, Torque Convertor, Higher Gears (probably 3.42), SS Hood, Spoiler and Z06 wheels (for looks), and a tune. That would be it. All I have now is just an MTI lid and a Hooker Catback.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:57 PM
wrencher

Well your questions are not easily answered IMO.
Once you start modding it can be hard to stop.
Then if you get into internals & monster cam etc, the longevity of the motor is shortened.
If you want a daily driver keep the mods down.
There are plenty of LS1's running around with high miles.
But then anything can happen motor or trans wise, there are no guarantees.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've seen 130 and 140K on stock f-bods that seemed to still be running well. the LS1 is GENERALLY a pretty stout motor, but like wrencher said, if you mod it and/or beat on it, it won't last as long.

me personally....i already grenaded a transmission, a rearend, a torque converter and i currently have o2 sensor circuit problems....

the motor still runs real strong (crosses fingers)....im betting i wont make it past 100-110K without a motor rebuild tho.... price to play i guess..(BTW im at 59,500 miles right now.)
Old 03-23-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

85k and running better than new. I've kept a sharp vigil on maintenece and I just replaced my belts. I have some bolt-os, but nothing too crazy.Check out my page. When it comes time for a rebuild, instead of buying a new car, I'll add stronger heads, cam, and maybe some shorty manifolds. Oh, and maybe a Moser with 3.73. Ehh, I'll probably get a bucket truck too.

www.cardomain.com/id/xxtinkt
Old 03-23-2004, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are a few ways to look at how you mod as well....
lets say you want to get a ls6 intake and install it yourself..... well since half the works done already go ahead and pull the heads and replace the head gaskets....
if you want forged internals on the bottom end .. go ahead and replace any and all bearing you can get to while its down any ways....
keep a good motor oil in there every 3000(2500 for me) mobil 1 for me...
if you do this there is no reason your cant get alot of mods and alot of miles out of your car... choose your mods carefully... dont be talked into a huge cam if you want it relable... but no reason at all not to get a nice sleeper cam...
and ask your self this... if i want a intake... and cam ... then why not replace the cam bearings while i am at it?...
thinking like this and she will last a LONG time
Old 03-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies.

As of right now, I don't see any reason to go into the internal engine. It is running very strong right now, and I don't want to mess with it because of that. The mods I have listed in the first post would be as far as I would go until the car is paid for. I don't see any reason to shell out the kind of money for h/c packages, all that high end work when I still have a payment due every month.

I was more or less just wondering how much left an LS1 had left after 150k miles. I don't drive it too hard and I baby it as much as I can afford to. I don't see why it wouldn't be running strong barring any unforseen circumstances. I was just curious if anyone had that many miles and how their car was running.

The only reason I want to mod my car at all is to have it run like it was meant to, not the way GM restricts it. The last thing I want to do is put an oversized cam in it and wear it out before it is paid for and be stuck with it. But wouldn't hurt to destroy a few Mustangs either.

As far as rebuilding, that is the only time I can see letting a place like MTI have fun with it. By then I should have another vehicle and can afford to just play with it like a toy. I used to work as an apprentice mech with Ferrari and Porsche mechanics, they thought it was funny that I went with a Camaro. All they do is work on toys.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do all the bolt ons....
that will keep you far ahead of most stangs
Old 03-24-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

You don't need any bolt-ons to keep ahead of most stangs.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your going to put on 100K before paying it off.
Assuming you bought it used so didn't pay all that
much, you must drive a lot. Ever just consider a beater.
Thats a mod your car will definitly love.
If you really plan on keeping it for a long time,
that will pay off in the long run.
Yes they do seem to be lasting a long time but
you could save it for decades of enjoyment while
beating the highway in a neon.

Just something to think about.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea i got a 89 sundance with 115k on it for $200. Its a pretty clean car but it is slow. Last year i put 850 miles on it and 2k on the SS. The SS never sees snow or rain anymore.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

got a 99 with 130k. no mods though. still running strong as ever.