Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck intake....will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck intake....will it fit?

getting ready to attempt at a 5.3 to '71 Nova swap. Anybody know if the stock truck intake will fit under a '71 cowl hood?

if not, whats it going to cost me for a car intake/rails and injectors?

thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 PM

I believe you will be fine especially with a cowl hood. My intake fits in my monte Carlo in the exact height as the stock air cleaner. I'm not able to put the vortex plastic cover on thou.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all fits in my 70 Chevelle. Even with the Vortec cover.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Launching!

One of the first threads i read on here when i started researching was a nova in Canada that he was doing on the real cheap. he used the stock truck intake and it cleared the stock hood but barely. i tried to find it but could not. maybe someone knows which one this is. I vaguely remember the car was orange. If you want to use the ls1 intake, if it is drive by cable (three bolt) it will interfere with the truck water pump outlet. it can be made to work with a little "massage " and twisting the neck a little. I would have stayed with the truck intake if it would have had an intake when i bought mine.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ls68firebird
One of the first threads i read on here when i started researching was a nova in Canada that he was doing on the real cheap. he used the stock truck intake and it cleared the stock hood but barely. i tried to find it but could not. maybe someone knows which one this is. I vaguely remember the car was orange. If you want to use the ls1 intake, if it is drive by cable (three bolt) it will interfere with the truck water pump outlet. it can be made to work with a little "massage " and twisting the neck a little. I would have stayed with the truck intake if it would have had an intake when i bought mine.
You don't have to do anything to the neck if you swap for an 07 and newer truck pump.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Launching!

yess it should clear. i have brp mounts(which are supposed to "lift" the engine quite a bit.

my lq4/truck intake/factory cover clears with some room left over w/ 4" cowl
Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Launching!

You don't have to do anything to the neck if you swap for an 07 and newer truck pump.
Great!! now i have more parts to buy ha ha ha.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It fits on my Corvette , I did have to get creative but the hood closes with room to spare.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it fits with a stock hood, so of course it will fit with a cowl (link to the canadian nova ls68 was referring to included).
Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Teching In

thanks for all of the input. this makes me feel better since i do have a limited budget. got the donor vehicle hauled home this past weekend. Saturday will be the day we start the transplant.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM

I have been wondering the same thing myself, and last night I came across a forum that gave some measurements.

From the top of the block, the Corvette manifold they measured (not sure which one though) was 6 1/4" tall, and the truck manifold is 11" from the top of the block.

I haven't gotten my motor yet so I can't verify these measurements, but hopefully this helps
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would smooth out the top of the truck intake incase it is close, plus the intake would look a whole lot better. There's a thread here on what they look like smoothed and painted. Well worth the time and effort

Quick Reply: Truck intake....will it fit?