Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd timing drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Odd timing drop

Lets start at the beginning here. I have a 00 TA that I converted to T56 (third one I've done) with all the correct stock parts. It has headers, LS6 intake, 85mm Z06 maf, SLP lid, full catback, truck coils (relocated), and NGK TR5 plugs. The car has 176K on it but still runs like a champ, for the most part, with no excessive oil consumption or smoking.

I've been having an issue with my car popping really bad when I shift gears. I originally thought I was having an exhaust leak issue or maybe a fuel loading issue since I am getting really poor mileage.

Yesterday I took it to a friend with a tech 2 scanner and we logged the car. We found out that when I depress the clutch and it hits the clutch start switch, my timing drops to 0. We were able to barely press the clutch in and get it into gear without tripping the start switch and there was no issue.

The best I can figure here is when it engages the switch, the car has a moment of WTF then goes back to normal. My fix for the time being is to wire the switch together so it tells the computer that the clutch is always in, stopping the WTF moment from happening. The bad thing is now I can start the car in gear by accident (if I ever have a total tard moment) and I don't like half assing things.

So....Has anyone ever seen this issue or have any ideas on where to look for a problem?

Do you think this issue was causing my car to get 15mpg average since the tuner told me my fuel tabels looked "very good"?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Man....over 80 views and no replies? Has no one ever encountered this issue before?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the pcm tuned for the M6? How did you wire the clutch pedal switches?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, the PCM was reflashed to be an M6 and I wired the neutral safety switch to the clutch like I've done before. I believe it was the green and purple one. I followed the write up that is on here to the T.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like its wired wrong, but it could be lots of things.