Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo guys-- I need some help

Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Turbo guys-- I need some help

The problem is that im blowing oil out of my down pipe... I have a rear mount system that i built myself and i cant figure out why its blowing oil.

I have 4an feed and 10an return, which will prob switch to 8an whenver i can. But i have a good turbo and on the VERY FIRST run we went out on the street. punched it once it started to get up in the rpm oil smoke went everywhere... i tried messing with a few things and changing up the return system so it would be a straight shot to the pump then to the motor (it dumps in on the pan), but no luck. its not as bad since i did that but once the turbo gets to operating temp it still starts to smoke then once i hit it at OT it smoke really bad....

im pretty upset about it because i dont understand how this could happen on my very first punch... i thought seals took a while to blow out??
Old 03-09-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i run 0w10... my friend seems to think that is the problem
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have always seen and been told you want to run heavier oil due to the heat the turbo makes. 0w-10 oil is going to squeeze through cracks alot easier then say 20w-40/50 which from what Ive heard and read is more along the lines of what you need to use.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
9 Second Club

What scavange pump are you using? Mocal 12v differential oil pump is a good unit that I've helped 2 people with and they went multiple seasons without any failure or issues.
Are you using check valves?
One valve to prevent boost pressure from entering through the PCV system, and one to prevent oil from draining into the turbo when the engine is shut off.
Another items that I've heard of but never personally seen used is a pressure regulator or change in orifice of the feed into the turbo.

Another item to play with to troubleshoot is to use a temporary container that the oil can fall into via gravity with a pump stuck in the container to pul that oil out. With the oil pouring out of the turbo you shouldn't see oil coming out of the downpipe unless the turbo has something wrong with it internally. I've heard of this being done on a dyno before with good results on troubleshooting.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to go to 10w30 this week..but i have a cheap pump and am going to one of those mocals... do you think just the pump could be the problem? and do i need to get my turbo rebuilt
Old 03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Post I made a couple years ago. Might answer your questions....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ust-pipes.html
Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Precisions seem to be finickier about oil pressure/amount than others. I have a setup that didnt smoke with an S400 or TC78 and as soon as I put a new PT76 on it smoked like a chimney, came out the compressor too, all journal bearing turbos. I put a really little restrictor on the oil line and it seems to have solved it and the turbo hasnt taken a **** yet, who knows when it will though. I dont recommend going with a tiny restrictor like I did, very easily could be a pump problem on your rear setup.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys thanks for the input.. we changed it to 10w30 and it didnt help...

i have a very tiny restrictor.. im not sure if there is a smaller one although i dont remember the exact number.. I also had a t72 and it did the same thing.. so its not just the turbo.. im gonna go ahead and get a mocal and see how it does. i just know some people running the same pumps and they are fine so i just dont get it
Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

If you swapped the turbo then check your plugs and see if oil is on one of them. If its doing it constantly then something in the bottom would be my guess.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alright guys i just went and picked up a sweet turbowerxs pump... im gonna try and mount it today... its a big pump so im not sure how to mount it... any pics or imput would be nice
Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got the pump on... fixed the problem for the most part. i still get a litte sometimes when i let off... not sure what that is but as far as under throttle its clear as glass..

i do have a leak coming down the back of the engine.. not sure what it is
Old 03-10-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

You may always have a little. One of the other members posted running a little dump tank in between the turbo and the return pump. I think that will be your best bet if you have the space. I run a electronic valve to shut off the feed and a turbo timer to run the pump after the my truck shuts off but i wouldnt recommend this. My setup is too involved and not necessary.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok well the turbo is down to zero smoke.. i drove it for the past 4 hours and it was perfect... the only thing is that as soon as it hits boost the knock sensor retards the timing so it holds it at 3k and it slooooowly goes up.. obviously after the first time i did this i never did it again... did anyone elses turbo do this???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo guys-- I need some help