View Full Version : Is the '02-'04 Z06 MAF really the best?

SledheadRick
03-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm looking for a better MAF option to handle supercharger duty on a '04 GTO with an MP112 using a 2.8" pulley.

Had it dyno tuned recently at Cunningham Motorsports and Ryhn told me he favors the '02 - '04 Z06 MAF over offerings from SLP and Lingenfelter.

I understand (through searching the forum) that the SLP MAF is basically a Z06 85mm MAF with a resistor added to it for plug-and-play applications where a CAI is the only mod.

I have also heard about difficulties with tuning the Lingenfelter 100mm MAF, but no specific reasons have been presented.

Is the Z06 MAF the tuner's best choice? or are there other brands available that are tuner friendly?

SledheadRick
03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
...I am new to this forum but I'm a regular (though quiet) member of LS1GTO since January 2005. Hoping to ask the above question to a wider range LS1/LS6 knowledge base.

Any useful comments?

george g
03-09-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm currently using a 5 wire maf from a ls series truck,you'll need a 5 wire to 3 wire harness and a retune.I did a back to back dyno test between the stock gto and the 85mm truck maf and the truck maf picked up 9 hp. I would just get a 85mm truck maf and use it,should be cheaper than the z06.

SledheadRick
03-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I'll ask Ryhn at CMS if he can work with that. Hell, he may have one sitting on a bench in his shop somewhere.

Yah, it will require a retune too. Might just waight a bit, like after I install a blower cam.

BSGTOLS2
03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
well...i got a question...every time i romp on my goat i get a svc engine light...checked the codes over at autozone and i got both banks running lean...i think i am having some trouble with my maf...maybe over oiled my filter and might be dirty...my question is if i swap it out...should i go woth a stock maf or get something diffrent?

impulsegoat
03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
well...i got a question...every time i romp on my goat i get a svc engine light...checked the codes over at autozone and i got both banks running lean...i think i am having some trouble with my maf...maybe over oiled my filter and might be dirty...my question is if i swap it out...should i go woth a stock maf or get something diffrent?

That's what an aftermarket maf does is make the car run lean without a retune. Most tuners i talk to feel that the risk/reward of the aftermarket maf is not worth it and recommend running the stock one.

04gto5.7
03-10-2012, 01:13 PM
i have a ported maf and was wondering if that is ok idk ive heard that once you port them they dont wanna work properly

gconnoyer
03-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Go buy a can of MAF cleaner and clean it. Why would you buy a new one if an $8 can of cleaner will fix it?

BSGTOLS2
03-10-2012, 01:33 PM
well my maf is stock but it is still running lean

BSGTOLS2
03-10-2012, 01:34 PM
i got some maf cleaner just havent been in town to work on my car, i will try that and see what happens, if this doesnt fix the problem should i just replace it?

gconnoyer
03-10-2012, 02:04 PM
If that doesn't fix the problem there are alot of other reasons it could be running lean. SO unless you're made of money (which I'm not) I wouldn't just go throwing parts at it lol.

Do you have any codes for the MAF?

BSGTOLS2
03-10-2012, 06:04 PM
no i lost them but i will get them again and see what codes i had

BSGTOLS2
03-10-2012, 06:05 PM
its been a while but all i can remember is that it had two codes, one for each bank running leana

Dyno Junkie
03-10-2012, 07:46 PM
The other option is to do what 99% of tuners do in Australia and remove the MAF to the nearest rubbish bin.

SledheadRick
03-10-2012, 08:07 PM
The other option is to do what 99% of tuners do in Australia and remove the MAF to the nearest rubbish bin.

I wish I could!

But....I live in California and there are a bunch of smog control requirements that are strictly enforced. So, no SD tune for me...

Still looking for a tuner's perspective on viable MAF options for forced induction application.

BSGTOLS2
03-11-2012, 07:27 AM
i just left san diego...lol...thank goodness because the smog crap is rediculous there

gconnoyer
03-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I wish I could!

But....I live in California and there are a bunch of smog control requirements that are strictly enforced. So, no SD tune for me...

Still looking for a tuner's perspective on viable MAF options for forced induction application.

You could do an SD tune.

I dont think they check for a MAF(and don't know why it would matter), and you're not "adding" any SMOG illegal equipment.

SledheadRick
03-11-2012, 07:36 PM
You could do an SD tune.

I dont think they check for a MAF(and don't know why it would matter), and you're not "adding" any SMOG illegal equipment.

Not sure if it would pass the OBD-II scan...

gconnoyer
03-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Well wouldnt the tuner turn off or do what they need to to turn off any MAF codes from it being gone?
Like turning off the rear 02's for LT's?

gotjuice78
03-26-2012, 08:39 PM
There could be a few issues with the car I had the same when I got mine make sure you check all the vacuum line on the back of the intake make sure everything in the air intake is seal to the TB. MAF may be dirty...have a KN in there use the cleaner also you may have a intake gasket leak in the manifold easy and cheap to fix look on ls1gto in the search box o2's throw a different code sometimes hope this helps

mark21742
03-27-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm running an SD tune on mine and love it, the only problem is you have to trip the MAF fail code for the computer to run in SD mode....unless someone has figured out how to run in without the fail code.....but I do pass MD smog odb2 test and don't even run cats or o2 sensors (other than my wideband o2 for tuning purposes)

NasbaGoat
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
there is nothing wrong with the stock MAF.... i make 10psi w/ my 112 on my 04 through the stock MAF.... if he cant make it work then its his inability to tune.... if you actually need one then he is suggesting to you what he is most comfortable tuning in which case it is a good idea to get what he says because it will only make his job easier and the quality of his tune better.....

in tuning there are many paths that can net you the same result.... there is never only one way to do things... do what works best for you...

sdbrown84
03-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Not sure if it would pass the OBD-II scan...

You should pass the ODB II scan. California I believe you still need to pass the smog.