Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel pump help!!!!!!!

I stopped to get gas the other day. Went to start the car, it cranked fine but was misfiring so bad, it sounded like it was cammed out. So I killed it and let it sit for a minute. Started it again and the same thing, so I let it sit again for a minute. Then i started it and for a second it seemed fine, I put it in drive and eased away from the pump and made it to the other side of the parking lot when it died. After that it would crank and crank but wouldnt fire. So I cycled the key and couldnt hear the pump kick on at all. I checked fuel pressure after cycling the key about 10 times and I had no pressure. So i switched the AC compressor and Fuel Pump Relays and still nothing. When i get the car home, i take then plastic intake tube off and take a rag i sprayed with carb cleaner and stuck it over the MAF and it cranked and idled perfectly smooth. so I went and cut out the access panel and checked voltage at the connectors that connect outside the tank and i getting about 5 volts. Is this right? Please help me out here guys. Thanks in advanced.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i get the car home, i take then plastic intake tube off and take a rag i sprayed with carb cleaner and stuck it over the MAF and it cranked and idled perfectly smooth. so I went and cut out the access panel and checked voltage at the connectors that connect outside the tank and i getting about 5 volts. Is this right? Please help me out here guys. Thanks in advanced.

you took your intake tube off, sprayed a rag with carb cleaner and put it across the MAF, then with the rag there, you cranked the car.

you cut an access panel? where to the fuel tank at the rear of the car? if thats so, then you should read 12 volts with all relays & etc ON.

you need not do the Carb cleaner and rag ordeal. There are also a lot of electrical connectors on the belly of the car, just above the rearend on the drivers side, check all of those. One set of those will be a 12V power to the pump ( or separate if you have a hotwire kit installed)