LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Wtf......

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wtf......

Poppped the hood the other day and found my k&n air filter was off the inlet tube. When I went to replace it,which is normally an easy task,I found that it wouldn't go & that's when I knew something was wrong. Upon further inspection I found that the filter would not fit onto the adapter that sits in the air inlet tube. It seems as though the discharge side of the filter had actually shrank and would not fit the adapter. Well I wound up buying a new filter,which slid on perfectly. Has anyon else experienced this anomaly?????
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

mine has actually fallen off a couple times, but never unable to slide back on. i will say that if i tighten it too tight it slips off for some reason. i just have to snug it and check it weekly...
Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I had my Impala SS my K&N filter had fallen off a couple of times but I was always able to put it back on. However, ironically I popped the hood on my Charger Friday and I found my K&N filter had fallen off. It had to be off for a while because the first time I popped the hood was when I gotten it and I've yet to open it until that Friday. I've also noticed that my gas mileage was suffering ALOT since the filter came off. I would go to work (16 mile one way) on a full tank and then come home, then go to the gym and I'm already near a half of tank. Ever since I popped it on my mileage has gotten way better and I'm at a full tank still after filling it up Friday afternoon. Crazy huh?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the only reason i could think of is the maf sensor rear there was much more air, therefore more fuel was added. timing was increased
thats just a guess as im not very knowledgable in that area yet
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Teching In

I had this happen on another vehicle. I called K&N and they said that it is uncommon but it does happen. They sent me a brand new filter for free. I would give them a call and get your free filter. Afterall they advertise a million mile warranty.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Launching!

I was worried about driving without a filter so luckily I found a filter at the local performance shop. I shouldn't have thrown the old 1 away though. I could have used it as proof to them that the opening actually shrank in diameter causing it to not fit thr adapter to the air inlet tube.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Mine actually had never just popped off before,this was the first time I experienced this.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ours has popped off, too. It was at the sleeve that mates the filter to the neck that goes on the inlet pipe. It was a bitch to get back on, but I was able to do it.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Mine was totally to small to fit back on the abapter. The new one slipped right on with no problems.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Mine was totally to small to fit back on the abapter. The new one slipped right on with no problems.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

it's not an anomaly... K&N intakes are known for loosening up, in every vehicle I've ever seen them put on and done tunes for, which are several hundreds...

always gotta check those clamps...

plus, when putting the filters on, make sure you wipe the edge/rim with a rag with rubbing alcohol on it, it takes the sheen/gloss off the inside and outside of the rim and helps it to grip better and stay on...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Mine didn't just pop off,the discharge side off the element shrank in diameter and would not fit the adapter on the air intake tube. That's why I used the word anomaly. I have heard of filter elements loosening up and falling off but never shrinking in diameter & not bieng reattachable.