Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam Question

I was wondering if I could put a cam in my car(car is basically stock, mods in sig.) without adding full exhaust? If so what is a good streetable cam that will give me a good increase in power.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:16 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TC > cam

for your setup. can you install a cam as is, yes. should you, no. but if you still insist keep it small; 224 or smaller duration on a 114.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KATNZ28
I was wondering if I could put a cam in my car(car is basically stock, mods in sig.) without adding full exhaust? If so what is a good streetable cam that will give me a good increase in power.
You sure can. It is done all the time with good results. Just depends on what you're looking for.

A mild converter (3000 or so) and a reasonably designed cam can make a really fun, maintenance free, street car.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Launching!

You can but you'll never see the full benefits of the cam until you put the proper exhaust on it.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

You can always drop in the LS6 cam-from what ive seen they make some good power and is still very reliable-I would suggest getting your Long Tubes,off road Y and a good free flowing exhaust and then go with the cam and you'll see some awesome #'s!!!!But you can do a cam only it will just have to be small!!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

It really depends on what you're looking for. Most people way overestimate the effect of an exhaust system. I went about building my car in the standard manner, but I would not do the same today.

The single largest effect you're going to produce is with a cam and heads. Everything else is gravy.

What I typically advise folks to do is this for a daily/street car.

Lid and filter.
If you have an A4, get a mid-size converter. 3000-3500.
Next, reasonable cam or cam + heads if you can afford it.
Then start on exhaust, drivetrain, rear-end, suspension, whatever.

Basically, get your basic power creation done and then solve whatever problems come up. That way you don't spend money foolishly. Make your power, make it hook, fix the problems and weaknesses.