Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My CAI setup on a TC78

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My CAI setup on a TC78

Hi all, there was a thread a little while back that I can't find that was discussing routine of a filter off the compressor to fit a larger filter. Where my turbo hangs it only allows a 5 inch long element to fit as it hits the frame. This caused a problem during dyno tuning where boost would taper off and iat's would rise rapidly. The short filter was showing signs of crushing and with the filter off the boost level would stay steady and iat would rise only slightly in comparison.

My brother in law and I decided to build off a pipe that would route down toward the passengers side turn signal area. we could fit a much longer filter and I'm hoping that when it goes back on the dyno it keeps boost steady and iat at good levels. I also wrapped the hotside which was already coate with swaintech coating.

Here are some pics. Thoughts?

From the bottom

From the top (vacuum source for pcv/catch can setup)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it, have you had it in the dyno again?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not yet. Hoping to get it back on the dyno shortly and go e85. I'm going to do some pulls and log with HPTuners to see how it does. With the filter on, it caused the IAT's to jump up a solid 25 degrees. With the filter off it would go up only a few degrees. Looking at the logs with Mike from straightline suggests that the turbo is working harder because of the filter being a bottleneck.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking setup, I also want to do something similar? I haven't had much luck finding any 4" aluminum mandrel bends for a decent price though.

Last edited by Nitroused383; 03-13-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My CAI setup on a TC78