Sponsored by:

I've got a ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I've got a ticking noise

I've had this noise for God knows how long.

I figured out that if I top off the oil or get an oil change, it goes away for a while, but then comes back.

Bad lifter? Bent pushrod?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

my guess would be a stuck lifter
you can get some stuff called "sea foam" and it can unjam the lifter check em out at seafoamsales.com
Old 03-23-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

You can get seafoam at just about any auto parts.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

If it was a stuck lifter, wouldn't it hurt performance?

Car runs like hell.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS1 ticks, it's just what it does. Being that you have an A4 I doubt it's a bent pushrod.

The valvetrain on these cars make normal ticking noises, along with injectors. I see that you have headers. Headers also produce some ticking noise. You may very well have a header gasket leak.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I thought it was probably a gasket leak since I made the stupid move and used the paper ones, but I don't see any black stuff around the gasket which would usually indicate a leak.

Oh and the reason I think it might be a bent pushrod is because my transmission died on me at the 1/4 track, mid-run. I attempted several runs and the car owuld always slip and bang the crap out of the rev limiter.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it lifter noise,if so you may have the same problem that i have.Mine did it since i bought it new and it is a bad O Ring on the oil pick up tube which aerates the oil causing the sound of a collapsed lifter,there is a service bulliten that states just what i've told you.

Mine also runs very well.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie's 02 T/A vert.
Is it lifter noise,if so you may have the same problem that i have.Mine did it since i bought it new and it is a bad O Ring on the oil pick up tube which aerates the oil causing the sound of a collapsed lifter,there is a service bulliten that states just what i've told you.

Good luck.
There is a service bulletin for "engine knock or lifter noice" and to replace the O-Ring.

Bulletin# 02-08-01-038
Old 03-23-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

where could I view this bulleting. I have acquired a ticking noise that I would swear is an exhaust leak, but after reading this thread it makes me curious. My car is an A4 and still dyoed with the ticking SAE corrected at 331. It runs well still, but seems when I am at speed say 40-80 and romp the gas, you can hear it briefly kick down then sounds like it bogs down for a minute before she gets going.... any ideas?

Originally Posted by ActionJack
There is a service bulletin for "engine knock or lifter noice" and to replace the O-Ring.

Bulletin# 02-08-01-038
Old 03-23-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

t t t
Old 03-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I took it to the dealer, and gave them the TSB number and they said it does not apply and that the noise is normal and refuse to fix it. I know it's not normal as I did not hear a single LS1 other than mine at the dyno day making this noise.

I am going to speak to the service manager tomorrow morning regarding this. Any tips you can give me or more information I can throw at them?

By the way, I am 19 years old so them not taking me seriously is very likely. Hopefully if I can go in there armed with information, they will start taking me more seriously.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok... first off you tell them you are VERY disatisfied with there service.. you think they are yanking your chain because you are younge... and you are going to write to gm corprate to file a formal complaint against them..
at which point if that does not work you are going to take part in the class action suit being levyed against gm right now or you will get a lawer of your own and sue them for breach of contract bring someone older with you...
hell bring another fbody guy with you....
show them you can tell the differance
Old 03-25-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got the same ticking noise. I've got Hooker LT's. Doesn't bother me anymore, I think all LS1's have that noise.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

BigBlackZ28,

Don't feel bad,the dealer i bought my car from blew me off too.They told me it was normal and the FRCs i put on are making it worse.I've had three certified mechanics listen to my car and told me i have a collapsed lifter.

I can hear mine ticking at idle while i'm sitting in my car,it's very noticeable,i've heard many LS1s at the firebird car show and none of them had the ticking noise that i have.I can hear mine thirty feet away.

My dealer also told me they won't work on my car because i've lowered the car.

I've contacted another dealer and told them my story,i'm taking it in next week to have them look at it.I will let you know what happens.If this dealer blows me off i'm going to the complaint dept.for GM.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Eddie,

Yeah I am forced to do the same. They tell me it's normal and the service manager told me "Oh man, you should hear the Silverados!" like it's some sort of consolation.

I am extremely unhappy with the service I am getting there. If I don't get my stuff fixed on Monday, I will try another dealer.

One thing though, unlike other car companies, GM backs it's dealers while other companies get on the dealer's *** and threaten them until they fix the problem. I called Chevrolet and they told me the exact same thing. I'm extremely dissappointed in GM and how they treat their customers.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

tell them you want the district service manager to listen to it. Just make sure the ticking noise is audible. If he don't help you, try another dealer. If you go in pissed off and yelling they will write you off. NEVER TELL THEM YOU FOUND INFO OR BULLETINS ON THE INTERNET!
Many people come in saying that there is a recall or something that can possibly be wrong with their car when really that car doesn't fall within the VIN breaking points. If there is a recall YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED. Sometimes there was a problem with a vehicle build in a span of months. Your vehicle maybe wasn't made in that problem period so you would not be affected.
I checked the bulletin and it can't be found on GM's service site.There are also no campains listed either.
If wose comes to worse, call Gm and let them know the problem and how you were handled. Let them know how disappointed you are. If nothing still happens, call them again and mention a class order against them and their engineering screw ups for example DEX-COOL, intake manifold gaskets and headgaskets on the 3400 engines, coolant catchers on the 2.4L waterpumps (so GM don't cover them under warranty). Designed to show leak once out of warranty....and so on.That might persuade them to do something about it but you didn't hear it from me.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a class action law suit right now going on ... do a search you will find it...
Old 03-30-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie's 02 T/A vert.

Good luck.
did that cause you car to burn more oil than ussual and if so was the noise there all the time?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBlackZ28
Oh and the reason I think it might be a bent pushrod is because my transmission died on me at the 1/4 track, mid-run. I attempted several runs and the car owuld always slip and bang the crap out of the rev limiter.
banging your limiter isn't going to bend any pushrod unless your engine was built very weak (and it has happened) or you've bumped your rev limiter up. the stock limiter is set conservatively, so the worst thing you are doing when hitting the limiter is having the fuel system cut off on you while you are at 6k rpms. that's the biggest reason why people say not to 'bang' the limiter.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Mine does the same thing sometimes. Ticking coming from underneath the car, but not under the hood. I think it's just either the headers pinging like posted above, or it's an exhaust leak.