Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo blanket question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo blanket question

I was wondering if adding a turbo blanket to my setup cut spool time down? I have jet hot 2000 coating and want make my mp gt45 spool faster..i know it will help in that it will keep my cold side piping from getting too hott, but has anyone slapped one on and notice any difference?
Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

really no one has anything to add
Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one, its not going to be night and day difference. You might notice alittle quicker spool but don't get to excited about it fixing your spool. Maybe get a spool valve?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
I have one, its not going to be night and day difference. You might notice alittle quicker spool but don't get to excited about it fixing your spool. Maybe get a spool valve?

Ive thought about getting a spool valve but it will space my turbo too close to the radiator and have heard they stick open
Old 03-14-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are the volcanic rock DEI ones better then the cx racing or PTP blankets?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How would this make any difference at all in spool up time? You are not changing anything. ????
Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
How would this make any difference at all in spool up time? You are not changing anything. ????
he is changing something... a turbo blanket

whether that makes a difference is probably debatable, i personally dont run one because i have never heard anything GREAT about them
Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it does make a difference....less heat under the hood and it does help spool up...I can run my car hard and pull over and put my hand on the turbo blanket and its only warm to the touch
Old 03-14-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

i want to say it did slightly help spool but i mainly got one for under hood temps. i have an rps blanket with no complaints
Old 03-14-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea im looking forward to my intake pipe not gettin so hot...does anyone heat wrap the intake pipe if its close to turbo headers or is that white trash?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
9 Second Club

From the exhaust port to the Turbo is important as well as the actual turbine section so make sure it's wrapped. However I personally didn't see much of a difference in spool time. But the underhood temps got lower.

I'm only going off the the transbrake though. That's the only time I actually time the spooling so it may not have the same affect than say being on the street. On the street I get on it and within 1 second I'm spinning the slicks or the drag radials.

A true before and after would've been cool to see. I just never worried about it. I was more wanting to keep the underhood temps down. My Iron block can heat soak so keeping underhood temps down is a necessity for me.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chasgiv3
From the exhaust port to the Turbo is important as well as the actual turbine section so make sure it's wrapped. However I personally didn't see much of a difference in spool time. But the underhood temps got lower.

I'm only going off the the transbrake though. That's the only time I actually time the spooling so it may not have the same affect than say being on the street. On the street I get on it and within 1 second I'm spinning the slicks or the drag radials.

A true before and after would've been cool to see. I just never worried about it. I was more wanting to keep the underhood temps down. My Iron block can heat soak so keeping underhood temps down is a necessity for me.
yea i know the 4.11s arent helping but every shop charges like 400 bucks to do them so im going to pull the center section myself and take it to a rock crawler place to swap the gears. My setup lags in first really bad so im looking to cut the spool time and shift peak boost lower in the powerband.

I just bought the PTP turbo blanket, so hopefully i will have some before and after results to contribute.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wanted to give an update!!!! I put the PTP blanket on and it seems to spool 750 rpm faster and definitely keeps it a little cooler underhood...still need to wrap the headers to make it spoool faster.

I have a small oil leak at the rear main seal and it drips a little oil on the crossover..If i wrap the crossover with ptp lava wrap, will dripping oil catch anything on fire under there???
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Launching!

no it wont catch fire but it'll smoke for a long time because it takes longer to burn it off when it gets absorbed into the wrap. i have experience with this when my ps line busted onto the wrap. i ended up taking the wrap off and replacing it after fixing the ps leak.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is 750 rpm a typo? Can you back this claim up with some factual data? I could see 75 rpm but not 750.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Is 750 rpm a typo? Can you back this claim up with some factual data? I could see 75 rpm but not 750.
its hard to say...it seems like i start seeing boost sooner and it definitley hits peak boost sooner..it just seemed a little less responsive without the blanket but i dont have any factual data..could be 75 rpm but for my setup i could tell a difference, especially after driving around and gettin the engine hot
Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by armintheman
no it wont catch fire but it'll smoke for a long time because it takes longer to burn it off when it gets absorbed into the wrap. i have experience with this when my ps line busted onto the wrap. i ended up taking the wrap off and replacing it after fixing the ps leak.
I'd be careful. Powersteering on a wrap could actually burst into flames. The flash point (temp at which a flammable liquid can catch fire) for Napa brand power steering fluid is 350 degrees F. If that seeps through and your turbo is well insulated, temps could get pretty high and there could be a fire. Best principle is to always tidy up any fluid leaks. I would be a little worried if it were me.

Had a friend who's tranny line popped out of his radiator and sprayed onto his turbo and blanket/wrap. Whoosh... he had an engine fire... luckilly he had a fire extinguisher in his car and got it out quick.

MSDS for Napa Power Steering Fluid:
http://facilities.fit.edu/documents/...uid%209832.pdf
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrapping those headers are a must annd you will see a big difference there. I wraped my pipes first and made a good noticable difference and then did a blanket after and didn't really see a difference. I will stand by the pipe being wrapped.. and this was with manifolds so the headers would see even more of a gain
Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
Wrapping those headers are a must annd you will see a big difference there. I wraped my pipes first and made a good noticable difference and then did a blanket after and didn't really see a difference. I will stand by the pipe being wrapped.. and this was with manifolds so the headers would see even more of a gain
Cool is the lava rock wrap the best? or is fiberglass work just fine?

Quick Reply: Turbo blanket question