Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand am Cup cam information needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Grand am Cup cam information needed

I've been following several of the old cup cam threads, and I'm looking for some info. I know the deal with idle being set high, but I really don't know that many people running it.

What kind of issues have been seen with this cam? What recommendations are there as far as head porting, valve sizes, spring types etc? I have a pretty good idea already, I just thought I would check the general concensus
Old 03-23-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, quite a few views but no responses. I know LG has some expirience with this cam Just thought I would see what the general population thought about it.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taspeed
wow, quite a few views but no responses. I know LG has some expirience with this cam Just thought I would see what the general population thought about it.
Lingenfelter CNCs the heads for GM and they are sold through GMPP outlets-> I bought mine from Scoggin - Dickey.The heads are milled .055" and come with LS6 Valves and Springs (ovates).
The cam doesn't have real radical ramps and seems to be easy on the springs ( Remember this is a road racing cam - not a 1320 cam).

Idle - I've had the Idle set as low as 800 RPM. It's not very efficient at 800 - 950 RPM. Mine does best around 1100-1200 RPM.

I wasn't able to get much help from LGM.

Definitely Not a Plug and Play setup. FWIW.
joel
Old 03-24-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on doing the portwork to the heads to accomodate the cam. I was expecting the idle around 12-1400 anyway so that isn't a real surprise. I think the tuning will be the trickiest part. what kind of dyno #'s are you making? I've seen a couple of sheets but all have been different due to the design of the cam and requirements of the head flow. I am already using the 5.3 heads so milling will be a minimal job. Thanks for the input.

Rich
Old 03-24-2004, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bink
The cam doesn't have real radical ramps and seems to be easy on the springs.

Idle - I've had the Idle set as low as 800 RPM. It's not very efficient at 800 - 950 RPM. Mine does best around 1100-1200 RPM.

joel
Golly Bink! You drive around with this monster in your car?

And to think I was thinking the ASA might be too much. Damn!

Care to share the particulars of the exhaust setup you're running with it? I'm assuming you are at least running long tubes... Seems to me one has to be running a seriously low restriction setup for these cams to work best, and I've already got that.

Dan
Old 03-24-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blorton
Golly Bink! You drive around with this monster in your car?

And to think I was thinking the ASA might be too much. Damn!

Care to share the particulars of the exhaust setup you're running with it? I'm assuming you are at least running long tubes... Seems to me one has to be running a seriously low restriction setup for these cams to work best, and I've already got that.

Dan
I'm running LGM Longtubes, ORPs and Borla Stingers. This cam is really pretty docile and well mannered- for it's size. Fuel injection and the PCM are a big help.
Interior noise is pretty high - but I like that.

I recorded lobe lift every 4-6 degrees (crank) before I pulled the stock 2001 Z06/LS6 cam and after I installed the Grand Am cam. Here is a comparison of the two cams at the valves ( I multiplied each by the rocker ratio 1 : 1.7). Although the GA lobes are asymetrical they are not extreme - like the XERs.

Comparison of GA and '01 Z06 Int and Exh Lobes

joel
Old 03-24-2004, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bink
I'm running LGM Longtubes, ORPs and Borla Stingers. This cam is really pretty docile and well mannered- for it's size. I recorded lobe lift(snip)
Hot damn, that's impressive! I did a similar although not as nice looking bit of charting as part of my head shopping. What was interesting is that I couldn't find anybody that offered better intake flow from .200 to .500 than the General. Most everyone did better than the general on the exhaust side, but that's what traditional split cams are for!

Amazing. Thanks very much for sharing that.

Fwiw, I've got Kooks with cats and the Z06 cans. I just pulled off the GHL's because they were just too loud in the cabin for my taste. I've no doubt your setup would make my eyeballs rattle from inside the car.

Do you have any dyno charts or numbers with your setup? What about sound clips?

I'm doing the first dyno pull on mine this weekend, but with stock internals on an LS1, I'm not expecting more than 350rwhp.

Dan

Last edited by Blorton; 03-24-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blorton
Hot damn, that's impressive! I did a similar although not as nice looking bit of charting as part of my head shopping. What was interesting is that I couldn't find anybody that offered better intake flow from .200 to .500 than the General. Most everyone did better than the general on the exhaust side, but that's what traditional split cams are for!

Amazing. Thanks very much for sharing that.

Fwiw, I've got Kooks with cats and the Z06 cans. I just pulled off the GHL's because they were just too loud in the cabin for my taste. I've no doubt your setup would make my eyeballs rattle from inside the car.

Do you have any dyno charts or numbers with your setup? What about sound clips?

I'm doing the first dyno pull on mine this weekend, but with stock internals on an LS1, I'm not expecting more than 350rwhp.
Dan

You're welcome.
I'll Dyno it the week of April 19 - hope it's not a dog.

Here are a couple idle sound clips : http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65841/...2/101_0104.AVI
http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65841/...2/101_0103.AVI Throttle response was poor in the second clip - since improved.

joel