Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How do i fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i fix this?

never done any paint or body work before.
a few days ago wind blew over my b-ball hoop next to my driveway hitting me in the back of the head and putting a gash in my spoiler. how can i fill this in and will the whole spoiler need to be repainted?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it to a body shop and see how much they would charge you. I wouldn't mess with fiberglass unless you know how. Good luck bro!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
I would take it to a body shop and see how much they would charge you. I wouldn't mess with fiberglass unless you know how. Good luck bro!!!
^^^ this ^^^

thats a nasy gash!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
x3, that was some wind.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

the thing with fiberglass is that once its exposed, air gets into it and if you dont seal it correctly, it will lift in the areas around it... that wing is a material blend of sorts but will likely be more difficult the longer you wait.. at least sand smooth the area and seal it... it may not be pretty but it will make whatever repair you do have done, more likely to hold...

You could sand it down about 3" around the mark and then seal/fill it with kitty hair and then feather it smooth with progressive sanding... the paint is another matter cause it most likely will not match next to the old paint which is faded... If matching is that important, find another black hatch and swap rings, resell... would be cheaper than all this work....
Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
the thing with fiberglass is that once its exposed, air gets into it and if you dont seal it correctly, it will lift in the areas around it...
Very true, this happened with my old Camaro when someone t-boned my passenger side door/quarter panel, body shop didn't do a good job repairing so it started lifting through time.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

If you don't usually do these types of things I would take it to the body shop. That being said, if it were at my shop I would somewhat feather the damaged area out with 180 grit. Fill with SMC epoxy to seal and fill. Sand that down and finish out with body filler. Block, prime, block, paint. Done! I would expect this to cost $400 or so at a decent shop, only because you only need to repaint the top of the wing. They are 2 part glued together so you can mask it at the seam and not need to remove the wing from the car.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ARLS1
If you don't usually do these types of things I would take it to the body shop. That being said, if it were at my shop I would somewhat feather the damaged area out with 180 grit. Fill with SMC epoxy to seal and fill. Sand that down and finish out with body filler. Block, prime, block, paint. Done! I would expect this to cost $400 or so at a decent shop, only because you only need to repaint the top of the wing. They are 2 part glued together so you can mask it at the seam and not need to remove the wing from the car.
might give this a shot soon. this car is my dd and it sits in the driveway and takes the abuse of whatever weather comes its way so the paint doesnt have to match exactly like its a showroom condition car or anything like that. it just needs to be fixed.

thanks for the replies

....**** wind.

Quick Reply: How do i fix this?