Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High lift and the effect of injector duty cycle

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default High lift and the effect of injector duty cycle

Looking for a little theory about the effects of high cam lift and how it effects injector duty cycle. does duration effect duty cycle more than lift? large duration cam with low lift or short duration cam with high lift, which would typically see a higher injector duty cycle?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on a lot more factors.....the main thing is the more that comes into the cylinder the more fuel you will need to jeep your air/ fuel ratio correct.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To reiterate what Mark said, injector duty cycle is a function adjustments made by the ECM, not directly related to any cam specs. Whatever "mods" you do (within reason) will be compensated for. Of course, this could go backwards too, if you make a mod that decreases the engine's output then your duty cycle will drop...
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

About 2 weeks ago, someone asked a similar question. If I remember correctly, the question was, "how does ramp rate affect duty cycle (or, injector output)?"
The answer was the same...that the injector function was based solely on air/fuel/temp.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the responses guys. i was just trying to get an idea before i stuck the new cam in. I have HP tuners so i will just hook it up to the computer and find out the duty cycle after i install the cam. thanks again
Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

If you start to get up to around 85% duty cycle then you need bigger injectors...but you will find that with bigger cams your engine will need less fuel at idle, and just off idle, then about the same amount of fuel as your stock cam in the lower mid range, then more fuel as you get up higher in the rpm range. When I put in my big cam I had to really cut back my fuel, even the minimum cycle time at and just off idle.

If you do get bigger injectors, then you need to go in and change the flow rate table....a quick dirty way to do this is say your stock injectors are 28lb hour, and you are going up to a 42 lb hour injector you can highlight the whole table and divide it by 28, then multiply it by 42 to get real close.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mark21742
If you start to get up to around 85% duty cycle then you need bigger injectors...but you will find that with bigger cams your engine will need less fuel at idle, and just off idle, then about the same amount of fuel as your stock cam in the lower mid range, then more fuel as you get up higher in the rpm range. When I put in my big cam I had to really cut back my fuel, even the minimum cycle time at and just off idle.

If you do get bigger injectors, then you need to go in and change the flow rate table....a quick dirty way to do this is say your stock injectors are 28lb hour, and you are going up to a 42 lb hour injector you can highlight the whole table and divide it by 28, then multiply it by 42 to get real close.
thats what i will do... thanks ya'll
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump..

Quick Reply: High lift and the effect of injector duty cycle