Sponsored by:

oil pressure bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure bouncing

01 m6 stock internals ls1

today when i was pulling out of first gear i noticed my oil pressure dropped a tad bit under half way and started pulsating like it was about to stall but when i accelerate i jumps back up to 3/4s of the way up (all this was while the engine was a normal OT).... does this mean new oil pump???
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

It could be the oil pressure sensor going to hell, they fail way more often then oil pumps
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Could be the sensor but could be the O ring for the oil pump sucking air.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Did you ever resolve this? I have an '01 LS1 bone stock as well and am having the exact same issue it seems. Also, my oil change light is coming on, even though I had it changed about 400 miles ago.

Thanks!
B
Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Mine does it too, started when I put in a used sensor after I broke my original one.

Would like to see if anyone has fixed this by just replacing the pressure sensor.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
If your idle is fluctuating your oil pressure will too.
True but in our case it's not a fluctuation (with idle), it's a bouncing of the needle at idle (in my case and assuming in his at steady idle). I know what the guy means mine does it too. It's more like a flicker, the guage will bounce and jerk a little when it gets down just a bit under 40 PSI, and it does it in a roughly 5 PSI range. Anything above 40 PSI it stays constant like it should.

And after typing that I kinda had a duh moment, it would seem logical that it is the sensor or guage and not an actual engine issue considering we have the same issue and the pressure is steady everywhere else. For me it seemed it obvious it was my sending unit since it started immediately after I changed it out.

FWIW, mine has been doing it for like 2 years, and I haven't had any problems at all. It's just annoying.

Oh and Alex2210 mine also only does it once it's fully warmed up, never during warm up. At cold idle the pressure is rock steady.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Found more threads, same ****. And yet no answer.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-oil-pump.html
Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on your car....
it will tell you if its the sensor or something else...

if the pressure tests fine with a mechanical gauge, then you know its a bad sensor or an issue with the cluster...
$10 for the special sensor socket at O'Rileys, the sensor is $40 for the AC Delco one
about an hour worth of time to get stuff out of the way good enough to get at it easier.

if the sensor doesnt fix it, then you know its a gauge cluster issue...which is all of 6 small bolts all 7mm or phillips to be able to swap it out with a known good one from a buddy to test it..

if its mechanical...
it could be a pump going bad, or the little relief spring going bad
it could be the o-ring going bad, or even something like the pickup tube is partially clogged...
but mechanical means you have to get in the motor to solve it...and if you are going in, you might as well replace that stock pump with a ported one and you have to put a new o-ring in at the same time.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Found more threads, same ****. And yet no answer.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-oil-pump.html
I've seen that issue before, let me ask you this: when you start the car after it's been sitting for, say, 30+ minutes, does it take just a second or two to establish oil pressure at the gauge? Or is oil pressure always instant upon start up? On the car that I saw had the flicking needle, it also took a couple seconds to establish oil pressure on start up. Not the case with my cars, they had instant pressure readings...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I've seen that issue before, let me ask you this: when you start the car after it's been sitting for, say, 30+ minutes, does it take just a second or two to establish oil pressure at the gauge? Or is oil pressure always instant upon start up? On the car that I saw had the flicking needle, it also took a couple seconds to establish oil pressure on start up. Not the case with my cars, they had instant pressure readings...
Nope, pressure comes up immediately. It really seems like a electrical issue not a mechanical issue, just been to lazy to pull the intake manifold and do testing..
Old 03-30-2012, 12:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Nope, pressure comes up immediately. It really seems like a electrical issue not a mechanical issue, just been to lazy to pull the intake manifold and do testing..
do a simple voltage test...
when the needle is bouncing... check system voltage at the battery...
if its bouncing too... theres your issue...then its most likely an alternator issue...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by soundengineer
do a simple voltage test...
when the needle is bouncing... check system voltage at the battery...
if its bouncing too... theres your issue...then its most likely an alternator issue...
Trust me, it's not that. I have tested my voltage a billion times. Check out my 30 page alternator thread lol.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any luck with the thread?

Quick Reply: oil pressure bouncing