Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How to install OEM style corrugated plastic fuel line on fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to install OEM style corrugated plastic fuel line on fuel pump

So in many fuel system builds I have done before I have always used the soft rubber submersible high pressure fuel line of SAE 30R10 spec. It has always worked great, lasted a long time and I never had any issues with it whatsoever. But I am currently doing a dual pump system and need to snake the lines in a way that I am concerned about loss of flow with the soft rubber line kinking. Enter the plastic corrugated OEM style fuel line. Since this stuff doesn't kink and makes some pretty tight bends it should be ideal for my setup. My only question is how to properly install it onto my pump without leaking? I have never worked with this stuff besides just cutting it off of the old OEM fuel pumps in prep to use the rubber stuff.

So far I see people mentioning that they boil water and dip the end of the hose in that for long enough to make it pliable and then push it onto the barb fitting, then finish it off with a Oetiker clamp or FI clamp.

Others suggest to use a heat gun to heat the end of the hose up to make it pliable enough to slip on.

I think I will be trying the boiling way as it should be able to heat the end of the line enough but without taking a chance of heating it so much that it hurts the pressure rating of the line itself. What have you guys used with success?

Last edited by rocket5979; 03-15-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heating up the end makes it much easier, but make sure it doesn't get too soft or you could end up damaging the hose and breaking it off trying to press it on.

ALWAYS lube the inside of the hose to slip it over, it will make life a lot easier. The oetiker clamp is the best way to clamp it onto the pump stem. Just bare in mind that the pump stems are only plastic so be sure not to stress the pump stem when crimping it.

And remember Lonnie sells plug and play double pumpers for almost anything!!

http://www.lonniesperformance.com/
Old 03-15-2012, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RX-Matt
Heating up the end makes it much easier, but make sure it doesn't get too soft or you could end up damaging the hose and breaking it off trying to press it on.

ALWAYS lube the inside of the hose to slip it over, it will make life a lot easier. The oetiker clamp is the best way to clamp it onto the pump stem. Just bare in mind that the pump stems are only plastic so be sure not to stress the pump stem when crimping it.

And remember Lonnie sells plug and play double pumpers for almost anything!!

http://www.lonniesperformance.com/
Thanks for the info Matt. I am all about DIY so I prefer to do my own fuel systems; especially since they aren't really hard to do if there is a little forethought put in. Plus it is just cheaper that way. I appreciate the offer though.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Would a hair dryer be too hot to heat this type of line? What if one did not know to lube the line prior to attempting the install and the line is now stuck half way on... what would be the best way to proceed?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

DanS, are you installing the corrugated hose on a 3/8" hose barb?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Teching In

I'm installing the corrugated style hose on the factory in-tank metal line. It is a new racetronix pump install in a 98 Camaro, and I am having trouble with the corrugated hose that comes attached to the pump. (This post is the one that I could find with much info on the corrugated hoses.)
Old 05-19-2016, 02:35 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Ok, it must be a 98 tank you're working with and I'm not sure what size hose that takes. I was going to tell I found a place that sells 10mm corrugated hose that nicely slips over a 3/8 hose barb.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1
Ok, it must be a 98 tank you're working with and I'm not sure what size hose that takes. I was going to tell I found a place that sells 10mm corrugated hose that nicely slips over a 3/8 hose barb.
Where did you find this? I'm in need!
Old 05-19-2016, 03:56 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Click Here

I've purchased from them twice in the last month, they're a good company to deal with. While they're not a sponsor on here, they offer something no sponsor sells from what I've found.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1
Click Here

I've purchased from them twice in the last month, they're a good company to deal with. While they're not a sponsor on here, they offer something no sponsor sells from what I've found.
Thanks. Order placed!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the link ss1. I placed an order too. Have a feeling I will be cutting off the line that came with the pump and giving it another try.

Quick Reply: How to install OEM style corrugated plastic fuel line on fuel pump