LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tuning for low speed driveability & acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning for low speed driveability & acceleration

So far I am really liking my '06 Impala SS, but..... Part throttle acceleration really sucks. Literally. Sucks fuel like going out of style, and the car feels very heavy & lazy. Has 45,000 miles on it, no codes. If you go roughly 1/3 throttle or more, the car totally wakes up, and screams.

Is this pretty typical with a bone stock car? If so, is there a way to tune, to make it feel "light on its feet", or to improve this ultra heavy-feel?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Tune wakes the heck outta these platforms especially in accel and top end. Our cars are only 3600-ish. Imagine how heavy the new chargers feel lol
Old 03-17-2012, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Yeah tune...I was able to add some timing on the low load/rpm end that helped with that a touch. Few other things you can do to get a better throttle response down low. Tune it up...
Old 03-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

You might want to look at a tune up as well. Plugs, wires, clean your MAF, air filter, O2 sensors
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the input. I will take a look at the O2 operation with the scan tool (I have to admit, I have not watched the data yet), and is there a LS4 favorite, regarding plugs?

I am already looking into getting a tuner. Have not decided which to get yet. Since there is no emissions testing in my town, is there anything to be gained by simply removing the cat on these cars, while still retaining the factory exhaust, or has anyone messed around with after market hi flow cats with success?