Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 w/ spool on the street??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.8 w/ spool on the street??

so im building a car for grudge racing but part of the requirements for the race is both cars must be driven to the track. downside is the track is an hour and a half away... is a mini spool ok for highway driving? ive never run one but i want the best traction i can get and a spool is very cost effective.

rear diff consists of

Moser Mini Spool
Moser 31 Spline Chromoly axles
Moser C Clip Eliminators
Perfect Launch Diff Girdle Cover
Richmond 3.55 gears
Hoosier 295 drag radials

Last edited by mechanix565; 03-16-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a 73 Nova with 15" wide tires and a spool and it's been street driven for years. Just use some common sense. When you're finished with him send him my way

Al 95 Z28 s60 w/spool
Old 03-18-2012, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

sounds good man thanks..
Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're okay with the chirp chirp around the corner, go for it!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanix565
so im building a car for grudge racing but part of the requirements for the race is both cars must be driven to the track. downside is the track is an hour and a half away... is a mini spool ok for highway driving? ive never run one but i want the best traction i can get and a spool is very cost effective.

rear diff consists of

Moser Mini Spool
Moser 31 Spline Chromoly axles
Moser C Clip Eliminators
Perfect Launch Diff Girdle Cover
Richmond 3.55 gears
Hoosier 295 drag radials
Why do you feel you need a spool ?

obviously everyone has different ideas of what drives good or bad. But I had the misfortune of putting a spool into my 8.8" and lived with it for a few months. It was one of the worst things I ever did to the car.
It was horrific when parking and manoeuvring, at higher speeds all it wanted to do was understeer, it scrubbed the outside edge of the front tyres like mad. And was generally just a complete piece of **** !

Only reason I fitted it was it was the cheapest way to get mobile again with my new 31 spline shafts as my LSD hadnt arrived yet. I was never so glad to remove the damn thing !

I'd been using a Ford Racing Torsen diff before that ( 28spline ) and I'm now using the 31spline version.
The spool did absolutely nothing positive for my car in any way. On the road or track.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

just wanted 100% equal power to both tires so i can get optimal traction at the strip plus its the cheapest way out since a good diff is decent money. motor will put down around 700 car weighs about 2600lbs wet
Old 03-31-2012, 06:23 AM
9 Second Club

TBH, unless you have poor tyres, there will always be equal traction at the strip. Tyres are sticky and the track is sticky.

The biggest worry about a spool vehicle is if a single shaft breaks. Often an accident follows. Certainly with a Torsen style diff that will never happen.

Based on my own experience, I have nothing positive at all to say about a spool except they look nice and are cheaper than a diff. I would never contemplate one again for a car that was actually driven.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

A spool is stronger than any diff out there and will generally last longer. Those are the real reasons people go with them besides being cheaper.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

To answer the OP's question, it just depends on what your tolerances are. It does wear tires faster, parking in tight spaces is a little tougher, and you've gotta pay more attention when driving in the rain. If you don't mind that then a spool is the way to go in my opinion. I wouldn't waste money on a mini spool though. Go for the standard and if weight is a concern, most companies offer a lightening service.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
A spool is stronger than any diff out there and will generally last longer. Those are the real reasons people go with them besides being cheaper.
A spool is stronger, but then what is the weakest link in the diff area ?

I wouldnt use an LSD that has a diff pin, as no matter how good people claim they are..if it has a diff pin there is a good chance it will break.
Hence I used the Torsen. It is very strong, silent and reliable.

Ive run all my fastest times with it. As I say, in my case anyway the spool did nothing positive. Was never so glad to get rid of it !
Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
A spool is stronger, but then what is the weakest link in the diff area ?

I wouldnt use an LSD that has a diff pin, as no matter how good people claim they are..if it has a diff pin there is a good chance it will break.
Hence I used the Torsen. It is very strong, silent and reliable.

Ive run all my fastest times with it. As I say, in my case anyway the spool did nothing positive. Was never so glad to get rid of it !
Either the ring and pinion or the axles would be the weakest link. There's nothing wrong with a differential. As long as it's in good working order there's no downside. He said he was making 700 hp, so if he's using a trans brake or a manual trans I'd go with a spool for reliability. I'm not sure what's out there for a 8.8 but Moser and Strange have a new diff that's supposed to be extremely strong. They're proud of em though!
Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

spool can be bearable on the street but gets aggravating on a daily driver. i wouldnt hesitate if its a weekend car or a few thousand miles a year but i would never do it on a daily driver, switching lanes at any amount of speed feels sketchy to me, leaving a stop sign in the rain while turning is almost impossible aswell. i just didnt feel it was very safe.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
Either the ring and pinion or the axles would be the weakest link. There's nothing wrong with a differential. As long as it's in good working order there's no downside. He said he was making 700 hp, so if he's using a trans brake or a manual trans I'd go with a spool for reliability. I'm not sure what's out there for a 8.8 but Moser and Strange have a new diff that's supposed to be extremely strong. They're proud of em though!
Stange wouldnt even sell my a pair of axles FFS when I enquired years ago after repeatedly twisting Moser shafts.

Ive run many low 10's and a few 9's with my 8.8/Torsen T56 and around 3600lbs. And when I had the spool a few low 10's too.
I see the weakest link as any diff unit with a diff pin. Then the axles. Ive just seen far too many diff pins break to ever trust one ( not specifically in this axle, just in general cars around the world with conventional LSD's )

I did consider a 33 spline setup but again it was either a spool, or LSD with a diff pin. I chose not to go down that route. Plus that option weaked the diff unit where the side bearings mounted. I now have a pair of Mark Williams shafts and the Torsen.

Have to say, the Mark Williams shafts are bloody impressive ! Their c-clip elims are much better than Mosers too.
I think when I bought my Torsen diff it was around $560 or so. I certainly didnt see it as expensive, although obviously it is a lot more expensive than a spool.

Quick Reply: 8.8 w/ spool on the street??