Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

I have a Trans Am Formula?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I have a Trans Am Formula?!?

I know I know,they dont exist right? They are two seperate cars..Yet my 1996 Trans Am has the Formula decal on the driver side headlight and it even says its a TA/Formula on the ECM and on my insurance crap,so its not just a Formy decal on there..It doesnt have the formula spoiler and bumper and it looked like a regular Trans Am without the ram air,until I added it..My car came with all the options..Rims,stereo,leather,power,GU5,G80..Only thing it didnt have was ram air..Was wondering if anyone else has ran into a case like this?

Last edited by FormulaTA96; 03-16-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

depends on what rpo code you may have. my guess is it's a formula and someone put a t/a bumper on it?... do you have the raised spoiler or solid rear hatch?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This topic has been covered a few times. It is my understanding that all V8 firebirds are formulas (formula is the option that gets you a V8) then you could add to that the trans am option which includes the bumpers, spoiler, side skirts, leather, t-tops, etc... Therefore a trans am would say "formula trans am" on the title.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

my guess is it's a formula and someone put a t/a bumper on it?... do you have the raised spoiler or solid rear hatch?
Nah it's always had the TA bumper and it has the raised TA spoiler,not the formy hatch.I'm the second owner,and according to the first owner when I bought it, he hadn't made any changes to it,except window tints lol.

@z-camaro Yea that would make the most sense,so I basically have just a TA lol.Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

maybe the headlight fixture was r&r'ed? i've never heard of a T/A with a Formula sticker on the headlight either way, from what my Firehawk RPO code:

WS9: Model Conversion Pontiac Firebird Formula
W66: Merchandised Pkg Pontiac Firebird Formula

post some pictures of your car
Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

maybe the headlight fixture was r&r'ed? i've never heard of a T/A with a Formula sticker on the headlight
Yea I kinda suspect that,because I've never seen a TA with a Formula decal on the headlight,only seen it like that on actual Formulas.It's on the driver side headlight btw.

But I have the WS9 and Y82 RPO codes.

Here's some pics. of my car,from before I put the ram air hood on.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=21451
Old 03-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Well I read that all V8 Firebirds have the WS9 code and WS9 just means its V8 equipped.So I guess I just have a Trans Am and that headlight with the Formy decal must be a replacement off of a Formula.Thanks for the replies though guys!

Quick Reply: I have a Trans Am Formula?!?