Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volume & Power dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Volume & Power dilemma

Where I live and where I work make it very problematic to own a car with a very loud exhaust. Right now I just have a flowmaster catback (it was on the car when I bought it) and I really don't want it any louder than that. So I'm trying to come up with some options that fit my environment. I've got two possibilities I'd like input on, and any additional recommendations are welcome...

LT Headers, stock cats with custom Y, and aftermarket catback (not flowmaster, eventually go with something like the Hooker or magnaflows)

LT Headers, aftermarket cats or ORY, and one of the stock catbacks, either WS6 or Firehawk

How would these two and a half setups work out as far as Power compared to volume? Is it a no win situation? How would Mac midlengths compare to LTs with cats behind them? Am I losing the benefits of LTs with cats installed? I do eventually plan to install a cam as well (something in a pattern that increased volume isn't significant, a custom grind for sure, will talk with several of the knowledgable LS1 cam makers when it's time to buy)

I'm trying to map out my summer buying plans. Finishing up my suspension work over the next month or so with wheels/tires, rear sway, and possibly springs (haven't decided on that one yet. May hold off on those a bit longer) Once that's taken care of, it's time to take care of the power, just trying to figure out what will fit into my volume requirements.