Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cover or FRC? Valvetrain noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cover or FRC? Valvetrain noise.

I have spent a lot of time searching this and have only found people talking about appearance. I want to know from people who have used them will they effectively reduce valvetrain noise. Any other noise reduction suggestions? And please just the facts from those who have used them. I don't want to get into cam, preload, and push rod lengths. Only added underhood valvetrain noise reduction please.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5th gen Camaro engine covers have some sound deadening material on the underside of them, however the cover does not entirely cover the valve covers, just the intake portion of the top end.

That being said the only 100% way to get rid of valvetrain noise is to measure for correct pushrods.... It's not that hard to do even I did it
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Thank you for the reply. I have had the car for 8 years 100K now and only bolt on and free mods. Just want it a little quieter for the next 8 years.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Sorry to hijack, but if I understand cherry correctly...even with everything internal bone stock, the pushrod sizes are off enough that you should measure and order different ones in order to quiet the valvetrain down?

Mine sounds like a damn sewing machine under there.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Thanks for chiming in. I had a feeling I wouldn't be the only one with a stock ls1 that was curious.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does it get better/worse the longer the engine runs or is it consistant no matter what temperature the engine is?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

For me, it just starts up when the engine does. First time I've had this car running since I bought it (long story), and I'm nervous to leave it running long enough to fully heat up with all that noise.

Well, I purchased the trunion upgrade...pulled the valvecovers, and took out the rockers...noticed that a lot of the stock trunions were able to wiggle side to side and even up and down, some more freely than others. The trunion upgrade made a significant difference...a lot less loose movement. I'll have more updates once the car is put back together again, but I'm pretty sure that it'll have a part.
Lifters will be replaced in a few months when I have the money...didn't replace them when putting the engine back together, and I'm nervous about it. Fortunately, Summit sent me a $20 certificate on the next $100 purchase when I bought the trunion upgrade.

UPDATE: still clicks (fuel injectors, which I know are good because I just sent them to Fuel Injector Connection), but the rest of the noise is much quieter.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

chip fuse says DYNOMAT lol
Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Although I want the quietest engine possible I'm not to sure that completely sealing and dynomating the engine compartment is the best way to go LOL.