Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock 04 GTO vs 1965 Comet

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 04 GTO vs 1965 Comet

My buddy with a 1965 comet with a explorer 5.0 with a b303 cam wanted to get a few runs in and see if a bigger carb would help him out. My GTO has a tune and a muffler welded in everything else is bone stock down to the paper filter. The comet ran 13.5 a few weeks so it seems like my DD ain't to slow.ENJOY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GufeR...=youtube_gdata
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Clean runs! Closer than i thought. Gto runs good. Comet runs good also and is well done.
the higher the race and i feel like you would have kept pulling. Aerodynamics would kill that car up top id imagine.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Sole reason I got rid of my carb for fuel injection. I spent days on end with different setups and never felt like I had ALL the hp I could. Then again I'm no carb "pro". The comet is sweet tho, and good close runs!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
Clean runs! Closer than i thought. Gto runs good. Comet runs good also and is well done.
the higher the race and i feel like you would have kept pulling. Aerodynamics would kill that car up top id imagine.
yea it was fun he would tinker on his car then we would go run haha. I thought he was gonna get me.
Originally Posted by Blown07GT
Sole reason I got rid of my carb for fuel injection. I spent days on end with different setups and never felt like I had ALL the hp I could. Then again I'm no carb "pro". The comet is sweet tho, and good close runs!
Yea he wants to throw a 650 double pumper on it and throw a t5 trans in there. He wants to run 12's. He has a 347 stroker he can just throw in there but wants to try and get into the 12's with the 302.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why a t5? Their pretty weak trans i hear. Any reason for the t5 over t56?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 PM
9 Second Club

He already has one and they are cheap too fix.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Nice video, that's a clean looking comet
Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely made video. What song is that?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Teching In

good runs. comet is super clean!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by soco80p
Nice video, that's a clean looking comet
thanks man, yea its a pretty cool car.
Originally Posted by Arctic_Z
Nicely made video. What song is that?
AWOLNATION - sail
Originally Posted by 1TFROT
good runs. comet is super clean!
that comet is a classy car. Everybody tries to buy it from him haha.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown07GT
x2....carbs suck. I think that little motor in the comet is wheezin all the air threw the stock heads it can get. That equals carb size don't matter.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Nice Comet!
Has he checked to see if the secondaries are opening completely? Put a twist tie on the rod that actuats the secondaries. Push it up against the spring housing and make a run. The twist tie will be pushed to the bottom of the rod if they secondaries are opening completely.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

till about 85 they were weak. after that, they could take a lot.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 07 z71 silverado
My buddy with a 1965 comet with a explorer 5.0 with a b303 cam wanted to get a few runs in and see if a bigger carb would help him out. My GTO has a tune and a muffler welded in everything else is bone stock down to the paper filter. The comet ran 13.5 a few weeks so it seems like my DD ain't to slow.ENJOY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GufeR...=youtube_gdata
beautiful comet. any pictures of it? they're truly a classic bodystyle.

the explorer 5 liter had decent intakes, but the heads were still a little restrictive. depending on the work he feels like doing to that engine, he could pull them, and simply gasket match them for noticeable improvement.

if he's running an auto trans, what is it, and what's the stall speed? what rear, and gear? what jets is he running? what size power valve? what size squirter? are his float levels set correctly? one mistake a LOT of ford guys make, is not running enough carburetor.
if he's going to manual tranny, he'd want a 650 double pump.....i can't remember the jets and squirters that worked well for me, but that carb is still sitting on the shelf out in the garage. if he wants, i'll go look and see what i had in it.

now, if he were to go back to fi......get the gt40 intakes. they should be pretty cheap now. 65mm egr spacer and throttle body, 70mm mass airflow meter, and 40#(or was it 46#?) injectors, with an eec4 ecu calibrated to that setup, and he'll be in second heaven.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
beautiful comet. any pictures of it? they're truly a classic bodystyle.

the explorer 5 liter had decent intakes, but the heads were still a little restrictive. depending on the work he feels like doing to that engine, he could pull them, and simply gasket match them for noticeable improvement.

if he's running an auto trans, what is it, and what's the stall speed? what rear, and gear? what jets is he running? what size power valve? what size squirter? are his float levels set correctly? one mistake a LOT of ford guys make, is not running enough carburetor.
if he's going to manual tranny, he'd want a 650 double pump.....i can't remember the jets and squirters that worked well for me, but that carb is still sitting on the shelf out in the garage. if he wants, i'll go look and see what i had in it.

now, if he were to go back to fi......get the gt40 intakes. they should be pretty cheap now. 65mm egr spacer and throttle body, 70mm mass airflow meter, and 40#(or was it 46#?) injectors, with an eec4 ecu calibrated to that setup, and he'll be in second heaven.
ill have to ask him for some pics. is a c4 trans with a 2500 stall. idk rear or gear. Im not sure on jets. or any of the carb stuff. He has a 347 stroker waiting to go in if he wants to go faster but wants to put the t5 in first.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

ill have to ask him for some pics. is a c4 trans with a 2500 stall. idk rear or gear. Im not sure on jets. or any of the carb stuff. He has a 347 stroker waiting to go in if he wants to go faster but wants to put the t5 in first.
that will make her fly. if he wants to do something really different....i think he can buy a coyote from ford racing for less than 7k.

like i mentioned......if he's kind of smallish on the jets, tell him to not be afraid to go a little bigger. it's a common mistake among ford guys....running not enough carb or jet that is. i used to have a double pumper on my 67 stang with an auto, but to be honest, i think that slowed me down a little.

it's good to see someone messing with a carburetor for a change.....but me personally, i'll never do a street car with a carb again.

BTW....your car sounded dam good too.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting vid.

Dig it.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
that will make her fly. if he wants to do something really different....i think he can buy a coyote from ford racing for less than 7k.

like i mentioned......if he's kind of smallish on the jets, tell him to not be afraid to go a little bigger. it's a common mistake among ford guys....running not enough carb or jet that is. i used to have a double pumper on my 67 stang with an auto, but to be honest, i think that slowed me down a little.

it's good to see someone messing with a carburetor for a change.....but me personally, i'll never do a street car with a carb again.

BTW....your car sounded dam good too.
thanks man, yea the gto is quite but, has a good tone.
Originally Posted by CoolAid
Interesting vid.

Dig it.

thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

i almost forgot......tell him to try about 3500rpm converter. fords tend to like to get out a little higher.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yea he wants to throw a 650 double pumper on it and throw a t5 trans in there. He wants to run 12's. He has a 347 stroker he can just throw in there but wants to try and get into the 12's with the 302.
Tell him to use the 347. He's not even close to 12's with that 302 combo. To get there, he'll basically need to bolt on a decent set of heads. Or he could get the gearing nailed down just right, and have the perfect tune one day... for a single day of 12's!

I can't see it with the current setup, even with a T-5, which would be a fat waste of time. He can't even figure out how to keep the wheels from spinning with an automatic! How's that gonna look(or hook) with a T5? Time's a wastin'! He's got a beautiful car. He may as well drop the nicer engine in there.