Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help. whats the difference between ati super dampier vs a reg underdrive pully

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help. whats the difference between ati super dampier vs a reg underdrive pully

please help me cause im clueless
Old 03-17-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you being serious? not being rude or anything but its hard to sense sarcasm over the internet.

but to answer your question the ATI balancer uses "rubber bands" inside of their balancer and its made to actually reduce engine vibrations and properly balance your motor and free up hp. it can also be rebuilt. and pretty much most of the other aftermarket style crank pulleys are just smaller to give you the underdrive to free up hp.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

also, the slp pulley is Just that...a pulley
the ATI one is a Damper...when you start spinning the engine to 8000 rpm, you really need the ATI. also as you start to get above 800 HP you also need the ATI Damper...and you need to get away from the Underdrive versions at that level as well.(a.k.a....you need a bigger damper not a smaller one)

the ATI has other benefits that are useful for other things as well...
you cant run a Moroso Vacuum Pump without the ATI Damper and a secondary Hub they make for it..
Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

They also have a keyway cut into them if that matters.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I will say the damping advantage is more critical at 8k but that does not mean it won't provide a big advantage at 6500K motor also.. I like my March but my next Damper will be ATI. There is a reason why I see them on virtually all LSx motors in the pits I walk through...

Before Somebody jumps on me I realize the GM pulley is a steel standard size with no dampener polymer (ATI) or silicone (march). But apparently GM was good with this and considered it fine to reach 300K which was their internal goal for these.

I still have my stocker and I will sand blast it make it look like new look so you just need to paint or powdercoat to your choice... Pics are available if requested but they will be in the Classifired with a lid and a set of YT Ultra light rocker...

Last edited by SOMbitch; 03-18-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Teching In

A post on here from 2002...

Originally Posted by SNW Vette
Hi,
I got this reply from the ATI engineer when I asked about a HP increase using their dampers on a LS1.
Steve

Steve,
We have many tests on HP increasing using our damper – unfortunately none on the LSI of yet.

Our LSI damper is standard equipment on the World Champion Corvette-C5R engines built by Katech. Jack Roush used them on 50 +LSI’s that went to Europe for a road race circuit – Vortech has used 300 of them with their supercharger kits – and most serious Y-body engine builders, of them including Lingenfelter, 3R, Marv Palmer, Katech, Doug Rippy, Chuck Mallet, Spectre Works, Wheel to Wheel, Performance Tech, MTI. The ASA AcDelco series also uses our damper on their Spec LS1 engines. The damper is not the new LS1 style but nevertheless the principle is the same.

ATI & GM have done extensive testing on torsional twist and the worst I have seen is .4 (fourteenths of a degree) on the World Challenge Katech engines.

To my knowledge, none has done back to back power tests on a semi-stock LSI to confirm a known HP(number) increase – However we know for a fact that reducing torsional twist allows the engine to make more HP by:

1. stabilizing cam tuning
2. eliminating fuel curve spikes caused by high frequency
3. elimination valvetrain and valve spring disruption by high frequency in these components.

Numerous other engine builders have tested and know the ATI damper increases HP – that’s why every Winston Cup, Busch and & Craftsman truck engine builders use the ATI unit. Hope this helps you with your decision.

JC Beattie
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...er-damper.html

Quick Reply: help. whats the difference between ati super dampier vs a reg underdrive pully