View Full Version : Need 305 HELP. Can't get it to run right

Fabian
03-17-2012, 07:47 PM
1982 Chevy G20 van with 305

I picked it up about a month ago. It had been sitting for 10 years so the fuel was obviously ****. So I got rid of the old fuel of course.

I have since installed new tires, a new QuadraJet, fuel pump (mechanical), plugs, wires, got rid of a **** ton of emissions and replaced the vacuum lines, air filter, timing chain with new cam gear and crank gear, I've played with the timing forward and back in degree increments and I installed a tach to make sure my idle and everything else is fine. Now before you point to the emissions, I only kept what I needed. Vacuum lines for the brake booster (bottom of carb), pcv line (top of carb), line to the distributor and the line to the tranny. Everything else is eliminated/capped off.

So onto the problem, it will idle fine but when I drive it it starts to stumble at about 30-35 mph sometimes to where it dies out. It starts bucking/surging. What the hell is causing this? I don't know what else to replace. I'm thinking the carb may just need to be tweaked but I dunno. I'm trying to get this thing going so I can stop working out of my Tahoe and use a proper vehicle for plumbing/hvac.

What else can be tried?

CharlieB53
03-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Which Q-jet, electronic/computer carb or an older 'original'?

Did you check the mechanical advance in the Distributor?

Is it still the original ignition coil?

These are some of the more common issues that could be a problem.

blk/slvr02ss
03-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Sounds like the Quadrabogger is not getting gas pumped threw it !