View Full Version : Whining noise after cam?

sweetC5
03-18-2012, 06:19 PM
So I finished my little cam install yesterday, car runs awesome other then the idle a bit low. But I am now getting this whine, sounds like when the alternator would be taking a shit on a older car! It's not very loud but I can hear it when I rev the engine and drive it. It does not do it at idle, starts just before 2k would say. It's driving me crazy, I did have a little misshap with some coolant, got all over the front of the engine. Could it be the air conditioner, sounds like an electrical wine to me.

I do have about 3 hrs of driving already, and beat the piss out of it for the last hour :D and I am not noticing anything at all wrong with the car other then it's pretty beast! I have to figure this noise out though :bang:

xX-Z28-Xx
03-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Did you accidentally install a supercharger?

COPO9560
03-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Did you change timing chain with cam?

sweetC5
03-18-2012, 07:24 PM
No I reused the stock chain, also stayed with a single bolt so the cam went in same as stock.

sweetC5
03-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Any idea's guys?

cam
03-26-2012, 02:14 PM
post a vid

Petsur
04-06-2014, 04:40 PM
So I finished my little cam install yesterday, car runs awesome other then the idle a bit low. But I am now getting this whine, sounds like when the alternator would be taking a shit on a older car! It's not very loud but I can hear it when I rev the engine and drive it. It does not do it at idle, starts just before 2k would say. It's driving me crazy, I did have a little misshap with some coolant, got all over the front of the engine. Could it be the air conditioner, sounds like an electrical wine to me. I do have about 3 hrs of driving already, and beat the piss out of it for the last hour :D and I am not noticing anything at all wrong with the car other then it's pretty beast! I have to figure this noise out though :bang:

I just finished my LS3 install and have the same problem. Does it sound like this ??

http://youtu.be/nS5iysE5lqE

Darkman
04-06-2014, 05:29 PM
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/458841-whining-noise-after-cam-change.html

Quick Ranger
04-07-2014, 03:36 AM
Was it a Comp cam? If so, there is your problem. They must not have felt like putting that one thru QC.

Petsur
04-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Was it a Comp cam? If so, there is your problem. They must not have felt like putting that one thru QC.. Mine was.

Quick Ranger
04-08-2014, 03:48 AM
It's the Cam. Read the thread above Darkman posted. Apparently Comp has quality control issues. The lobes need polished. Stay away from Comp cams, unless you enjoy swapping cams.