Fueling & Injection - Fuel pump cutting out randomly

View Full Version : Fuel pump cutting out randomly

n2ols1cam
03-18-2012, 07:48 PM
So today i took my car out and i noticed the car losing power for a split second and then the power kicking back in. i have a wideband in the car and it was reading that the car was going dead lean (22-1 a/f) then going back to 14-1 a/f ratio. (it stays around there when just crusing around). this happend about 4 times today and it seemed to only happen if i was driving the car for a while (20 to 30 mintues). and it did not do it at all at WOT. so i drive the car home and shut it off then immadiately tried starting it and it wouldnt start, i couldnt hear the fuel pump kick on. i let the car sit for about 15 minutes and tried starting it again and the fuel pump kicked on and it started just fine. what could be wrong?? i run a aeromotive 340 with a Caspers hot wire kit that was installed about 2 months ago. id really appreciate any help from you guys!

Ollie8974
03-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Fuel pump is going out. Need to replace it. I know it's not what you wanted to hear. Replace it before it leaves you stranded some where far from home.

n2ols1cam
03-19-2012, 10:24 AM
could it be a problem with the wiring? the pump is pretty much brand new. less than 1000 miles on it.

n2ols1cam
03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
anyone??

mantycarguy
03-21-2012, 10:40 AM
What kinda car is this? Is the pump in the tank or externally mounted? If indeed the pump is shutting off you need to monitor the voltage to the pump to determine if it is indeed the pump or voltage supply causing your problem.

n2ols1cam
03-31-2012, 11:37 AM
What kinda car is this? Is the pump in the tank or externally mounted? If indeed the pump is shutting off you need to monitor the voltage to the pump to determine if it is indeed the pump or voltage supply causing your problem.

it is a 01 trans am and its a intank aeromotive 340 with a caspers hot wire kit. i really hope its just a ground issue because the pump and the hot wire kit are brand new.

would the fuel pump cutout randomly if it was a ground issue with the hot wire kit?