Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Difference in stock and high performace Motive gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difference in stock and high performace Motive gears?

What are the differences in the stock performace Motive gears (blue box) vs. the high performace Motive gears (red/orange box)? Are the high performace versions considerably stronger than the stock performance?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On most HP ring and pinion sets the gears are not as hard so they don't break from shock loading. In the old days GM sold "soft" gears over the counter. You could also have stock gears heat treated to soften them up. The down side is they wear out if you put a lot of miles on them.

I don't know specifically about Motive Gears, but that's what a lot of companies do. You could call and ask.

Al 95 Z28
Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Here's what I found on Motive's website:

The Motive Gear Stock Performance is an excellent high quality light duty O.E. quality replacement ring and pinion. It has 8620 steel, CNC throughout and computer controlled heat treatment. Many installers have reported that this ring and pinion series seems beefier and quieter than OE gears. An excellent choice for both on and off road applications. These gears are found in everyday automobiles, trucks and vans. These gears are tough enough for UROC racers like Craig Stumph and Bart Jacobson.

Motive Gear Performance High Performance Series has more features built into it on top of the 8620 steel, CNC throughout and computer controlled heat treatment as the Stock Performance series. They are also double lapped, have index tooth spacing and central contact patterning. This High Performance Series comes in a huge range of ratios. These gears are used in stock car racing, drag racing, the toughest off road racing, sports cars, muscle cars, trucks and everyday automobiles when the driver demands the highest quality and performance.

Does anybody care to elaborate on this? What are the advantages of the double lapping, index tooth spacing and central contact patterning?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

all i know is don't get the plain black box motives, i think they're called the motivators, they're noisy as hell, won't be in there long
Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

The only ones I've ever seen are the blue and black box which are considered a stock replacement quality wise and the high performance which is in the black and red box. From what I've found the stock replacements are the quieter set but not as strong as the high performance.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i'll be going with the blue and black box ones next time when i feel like taking apart the center again

Quick Reply: Difference in stock and high performace Motive gears?