Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I'm stumped! Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm stumped! Any ideas?

A few days ago I did an engine oil change and a trans fluid change. That's it! The first time out my belt came off and the engine got a little hot. Nothing crazy, 200 degree's maybe. However, the car wouldn't get into boost as quickly and felt as though once it hit 12lbs it was falling into a bog. I changed the engine oil back to 10w 30 Mobile 1. That's what I have been running in it for 2 months now with no problem. For some reason I tried the 20w 50 Valvoline Racing oil. Of course when the turbo's didn't respond I immediately changed it back.

I take the car back out and it does the same thing with the new oil. It drives fine, starts fine, idles, etc... I get it home and notice the passenger side has some white smoke coming out the exhaust. Not so on the drivers side. I checked all the plugs and nothing crazy. The passenger side plugs I couldn't see the timing marks as easy and one looked a little cleaner, not much but a little. I figured blown head gasket.

Today I used one of the kits that you test for carbon monoxide and the fluid never turned yellow. I did a compression test and all cylinders are good. So I think that is good news.

Anyways, I let the engine completely cool down for several hours. When I fired it back up there is NO SMOKE coming out either side until the car warms up for a few minutes. Then you can definitely see a small amount of smoke coming out the passenger side exhaust and also where the turbo and down pipe connect to each other.

FWIW-When I remove the oil filler cap there is NOT excessive smoke coming from there.
Did I have a turbo go bad? Bad ring? I'm stumped!

Last edited by Wicked69; 03-20-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never mind. Both shafts on the both turbos have a lot of play. The actual nut has almost backed off completely. Don't know if I can just try and tighten them back up or if they will need rebuilt. They are only 5 months old so not sure why the nut backed off. Now I know why I didn't have any boost.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Glad u figured it out... what turbos are u running? Where they brand new?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if either impeller touched the housing they could have shaved enough material of the blades to let the compressed air blow back through or flow around the turbine wheel
Old 03-21-2012, 04:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Never mind. Both shafts on the both turbos have a lot of play. The actual nut has almost backed off completely. Don't know if I can just try and tighten them back up or if they will need rebuilt. They are only 5 months old so not sure why the nut backed off. Now I know why I didn't have any boost.
Cant say Ive ever heard of that happening !! I guess it could be considered a lucky escape too.
Have both units done the same ?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't just tighten the nut back up. It's a balanced assembly. It is no longer balanced...

Quick Reply: I'm stumped! Any ideas?