Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

DD214 change of residency question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DD214 change of residency question

Friend of mine wants to discharge with TX on his DD214 even though he has never lived or been stationed in Texas.

Family doesnt live in his listed place of enlistment any more.

I've always heard rumors you are entitled to change your residency once in your career or something along those lines.

Can anyone chime in on this?

He wants TX to go to school.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump, comments welcome..
Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not going to happen you can't change your home of record on your 214.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28GONZO
Not going to happen you can't change your home of record on your 214.
Read again man, i'm asking if he can have TX on his DD214 when he separates. His DD214 does not exist yet.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It took me a very long time to find this.. but to whoever may have this question..

Does that mean a military member can change their "legal residence" anytime they want, and therefore avoid paying state taxes? Not quite. Under the law, "legal residence" is the place that the military member intends to live after they separate or retire from the military. It's the place that they consider their "permament home."

Depending on their service, and local polcies, an active duty military member can change their "legal residence" by visiting their local base legal office and/or base finance office and completing a DD Form 2058, State of Legal Residence Certificate.

However, the military is required by regulation to ensure that military members are not changing their "legal residence" for the sole purpose of obtaining a tax advantage. Therefore, when changing your "legal residence," military officials at the legal office (or finance office) may require some degree of proof that you consider the new state to be your "permament home."
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You make no sense if he's already out and living inTX then this becomes his legal residency if he does bot live there the its not. he does not need to put it on any military form. It's the same thing if I lived in Arizona and move to TX now texa is my legal residence wtf does the military have to do with that!??? since you stated form 214 and said "family dosent live in his listed place of enlistment" that would be his HOME OF RECORD. And you cannot change that dosent matter if he hasn't gotten it yet.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's all good gonzo.. its resolved..

I was asking because he is not out yet, and when he is out he needs TX to be on his DD214 so when he starts college he will not be paying out of state tuition.

Quick Reply: DD214 change of residency question