Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L60E transmission question

I have a 5.3L that came out of a 2002 GMC Sierra thats going into my Cutlass & I'm looking for a 4L60E transmission to mate with it. I know with some cars the transmission have to be from a specific year so will any year 4L60E work or do I need a trans from a specific year to work with my engine & wiring? I see a few of them for sale here where I live but I do not want to spend that amount of cash for something that I will not be able to use so could you guys please help me out & let me know which trans I can & can't use. Thanks!!
The following users liked this post:
unclecowboy (10-06-2023)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
FormerVendor

A 4L60e from a 98-02 V8 f-body, 04-06 GTO, 99-07 GM 2WD V8 1500 trucks and SUVs will work. Vans are iffy. You have to make sure it had a 5.3 V8. They used a lot of 5.7 vortec motors in the Vans till the late 2000s.

If you decide you would like a built 4L60e let me know. I'll work up a quote for you.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this, Like said above make sure the trans is from something that had the LS engine in it. Pretty much all the 4l60e that had an LS motor will work, tahoe, suburban, pickups (ext cab and reg cab will work either way), camaro and T/A all 2wd of course. The wiring harness part makes the selection a little more specific. Cars had the park neutral switch up by shifter and it would not be in the harness, and trucks had them on the transmission this will be in the harness. In I believe 2003 trucks changed the connector on this switch but the trans itself is the same you would just need to swap the switch, which is another about $40. good luck
Old 03-22-2012, 02:41 AM
Launching!

How would i find out? I bought a rebuilt 4L60E last year with some upgrades ie Power pack, Beast sunshell, Vette servo and a 2-5k stall converter, I don't know what it came out of but they did say it would work with 98+ LS engines...
Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM

Default tanny rebuild 4l60e

I have a 02 camaro that I will be pushing 500 horse and wanted to get suggestions on what parts are best to hold the power in rebuilding it?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its a two piece tranny, it should be an lsx tranny if i recall.... But i thought i read you can use just about any 4l60e tranny for the swap. It will bolt up
Old 03-24-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You can use the older 1 pc transmissions if using the crank adapter. Try to keep them 95+ because the older ones were non-PWM
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Ok guys I'm still on a tranny search and I think I found one. I'm going to check out tonight if the guy is available. It looks very similar to the one in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/12585250-post5.html but I cant tell if it has PWM on the pump & he wont be at the trans until later tonight. I hope this is the correct trans because I really need it. Pics below

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
If its a two piece tranny, it should be an lsx tranny if i recall.... But i thought i read you can use just about any 4l60e tranny for the swap. It will bolt up
Originally Posted by Pocket
You can use the older 1 pc transmissions if using the crank adapter. Try to keep them 95+ because the older ones were non-PWM
It is the two piece tranny so I'm guessing this is the one I need & Here are a couple pics if the trans. tell me what you think!

Originally Posted by MNMCSS
I just went through this, Like said above make sure the trans is from something that had the LS engine in it. Pretty much all the 4l60e that had an LS motor will work, tahoe, suburban, pickups (ext cab and reg cab will work either way), camaro and T/A all 2wd of course. The wiring harness part makes the selection a little more specific. Cars had the park neutral switch up by shifter and it would not be in the harness, and trucks had them on the transmission this will be in the harness. In I believe 2003 trucks changed the connector on this switch but the trans itself is the same you would just need to swap the switch, which is another about $40. good luck
Here are the pics of the trans. The park neutral switch is on the transmission so that means this one came out of a truck, right? if this is the correct trans that would be perfect since my engine & harness are from a truck.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Veltboy, I'm not sure what you've got pictured. Here are a couple pics of a 4L60 from an F-body.

Notice the difference in bellhousing bolt pattern? Yours doesn't have the 12 o'clock position bolt hole.
Attached Thumbnails 4L60E transmission question-4l60-front-2.jpg   4L60E transmission question-4l60-side.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
unclecowboy (10-06-2023)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Four or five cylinder S10?Definitely not a LS or SBC 4L60E.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boostnut
Veltboy, I'm not sure what you've got pictured. Here are a couple pics of a 4L60 from an F-body.

Notice the difference in bellhousing bolt pattern? Yours doesn't have the 12 o'clock position bolt hole.
Originally Posted by tfi racing
Four or five cylinder S10?Definitely not a LS or SBC 4L60E.
I saw that but I was looking at a few other things & didnt think twice about that. I'm glad I posted those pics. Thanks for the info. I guess I will keep looking!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Teching In

You are really close with your trans. Since it is a 3-piece tranny (bellhousing, body, tailshaft), you could swap the bellhousing with a V8 one. Internally, they are all the same, with the same gear ratios. Your bellhousing is the 'narrow' housing from some V6 applications.
The biggest problem with using these mismatched from the motor they came behind is the torque converter. Any 4L60E/700R-4 converter will fit the trans, but it won't necessarily fit your flexplate. With older converters, you will need a flexplate spacer and will also have to oval out your flexplate bolt holes to match the smaller converter pattern.
However, if you get a LS specific converter, it is physically bigger (not by much) so that is protrudes enough to fit your flexplate, and has the correct bolt pattern. Example: Hughes GM22LTOW converter fits the trans, not the flexplate. Hughes GM22ELTOW fits everything fine, because it's an LS specific converter. (ask me how I know...)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OneOffStroker
You are really close with your trans. Since it is a 3-piece tranny (bellhousing, body, tailshaft), you could swap the bellhousing with a V8 one. Internally, they are all the same, with the same gear ratios. Your bellhousing is the 'narrow' housing from some V6 applications.
The biggest problem with using these mismatched from the motor they came behind is the torque converter. Any 4L60E/700R-4 converter will fit the trans, but it won't necessarily fit your flexplate. With older converters, you will need a flexplate spacer and will also have to oval out your flexplate bolt holes to match the smaller converter pattern.
However, if you get a LS specific converter, it is physically bigger (not by much) so that is protrudes enough to fit your flexplate, and has the correct bolt pattern. Example: Hughes GM22LTOW converter fits the trans, not the flexplate. Hughes GM22ELTOW fits everything fine, because it's an LS specific converter. (ask me how I know...)
Let me make sure i understand this correctly... I can use this trans if I switch the bell housing, get a converter adapter & oval the holes on my flexplate?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Default convert my 700r4 connector to a 4l60e>?

I just got a wiring harness from a frend that he no longer needed and when its all said and done i want to back my lq4 with a 4l60e but the harness i got has a connector for a 700r4? can any one help me or give me a number to some shop that can re wire it?

Kyle
socal101703@yahoo.com
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I can wire that in a LS harness..what wiring harness do you have?
Originally Posted by veltboy618
Let me make sure i understand this correctly... I can use this trans if I switch the bell housing, get a converter adapter & oval the holes on my flexplate?
No, V6 and V8 have different length input shafts. Get a V8 one, or someone that knows how to put the right one in.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
I can wire that in a LS harness..what wiring harness do you have?

No, V6 and V8 have different length input shafts. Get a V8 one, or someone that knows how to put the right one in.
Hey Merv, do you know the lengths of each of the shafts?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 AM
11 Second Club

Measurement wise, no. I know the LS is longer.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Banned

Default Eliminate computer on a 4L60E-4L65E or a 4L80E FM box

Originally Posted by socal101703
I just got a wiring harness from a frend that he no longer needed and when its all said and done i want to back my lq4 with a 4l60e but the harness i got has a connector for a 700r4? can any one help me or give me a number to some shop that can re wire it?

Kyle
socal101703@yahoo.com
Hello Kyle,You can always run a full manual external box and eliminate the computer completely. Just run 12 V to the red wire, and when you activate the ground on the Brown wire you will have lockup, the box is $400.00.

Please contact me for a professional consultation regarding your needs. We are happy to provide you with references both here in the United States and Internationally. Be sure to check out our website at maddogtransmissions.com

Hear what our customers and fans say on our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions

We also accept orders over the phone. Be sure to contact us and we will recommend the correct transmission for your application. For your convenience, we accept PayPal and all major credit and debit cards.

If you prefer, we can call you personally, just e-mail us your phone number.

All our transmissions are very strong and reliable, and can be used for everyday driving. Extended warranties are also available.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions
Old 04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by the_merv
The trans and it's components are the same v8 to v6. The LS bellhousing is longer, giving the appearance of a longer input shaft. This is why you need a spacer for non-LS converters...it brings the flexplate and converter nub hole to the proper place.

Read this if you need further clarification: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/4l60e.htm also the last paragraph of this: http://transmissiongarage.com/About/4l60-e_tech.php

*Note* I am not a trans guru. I personally despise auto transmissions. If my info is misleading or slightly incorrect, please forgive me, but know that I'm not just talking out of my butt here.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Ive seen them side by side and the shafts themselves were different..mustve been something else instead of a 4L60E..

Main question here for the OP is the car going to be EFI or Carb?

Quick Reply: 4L60E transmission question