Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fresh turbo back from T-netics leaking oil....WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fresh turbo back from T-netics leaking oil....WTF??

Hey guys. I'm dealing with a freaking nightmare turbo here. Got this thing used and found out it was blown. Go figure. Sent it back to turbonetics and they did a complete rebuild on it, and basically replaced everything. $850 later, I get it back and all bolted back up on the car. I fired it up and let it run till warm, and notice an oil drop on the ground. After feeling around, the bottom of the turbo was wet. Figured it was the drain line but it's not. It's actually seaping oil from where the compressor housing bolts to the center section. WTF.

I have a -4 feed and -10 return. 45* fitting off the bottom of the turbo into a downward sloped line and into the pan above the oil level. Sounds like a correct setup to me. It's a 76mm ball bearing turbo. No oil restrictor because T-netics didn't recommend one. I've got about 30 psi at idle for oil pressure, and am currently running 5w-30 synthetic in the motor (heavier oil maybe??). I really hope someone can give me some good tips to try so I don't have to ONCE AGAIN, ship this god forsaken thing back to turbonetics.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks...it sounds like quality control of turbo builds are beginning to head down the *******
Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im having the same problem, but running a scavaging pump from turbowerx. Ive got a thread a lines down, it appears my 6an drain running into my pump is too small and could be causing my issue. Mine is a 3an into the turbo 6an out...leaks out the back of the housing. Attached a pic of my 'problem', also found small amount of oil in the innercooler when I took it off for inspection.
Attached Thumbnails Fresh turbo back from T-netics leaking oil....WTF??-2012-03-21-09.43.43.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Hey guys. I'm dealing with a freaking nightmare turbo here. Got this thing used and found out it was blown. Go figure. Sent it back to turbonetics and they did a complete rebuild on it, and basically replaced everything. $850 later, I get it back and all bolted back up on the car. I fired it up and let it run till warm, and notice an oil drop on the ground. After feeling around, the bottom of the turbo was wet. Figured it was the drain line but it's not. It's actually seaping oil from where the compressor housing bolts to the center section. WTF.

I have a -4 feed and -10 return. 45* fitting off the bottom of the turbo into a downward sloped line and into the pan above the oil level. Sounds like a correct setup to me. It's a 76mm ball bearing turbo. No oil restrictor because T-netics didn't recommend one. I've got about 30 psi at idle for oil pressure, and am currently running 5w-30 synthetic in the motor (heavier oil maybe??). I really hope someone can give me some good tips to try so I don't have to ONCE AGAIN, ship this god forsaken thing back to turbonetics.
I'll be honest with you.....I doubt its the turbo. Something has to be up in the oil system. Once they swap the piston ring out to a new one, that is all they can do to the turbo. If its leaking then oil is somehow being pushed past that piston ring. Need to dig in to it a little deeper. Turbos simply do not leak oil that quickly unless they just flat left the piston ring off the unit. Highly doubtful.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Just google "Turbonetics leaking oil"
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
I'll be honest with you.....I doubt its the turbo. Something has to be up in the oil system. Once they swap the piston ring out to a new one, that is all they can do to the turbo. If its leaking then oil is somehow being pushed past that piston ring. Need to dig in to it a little deeper. Turbos simply do not leak oil that quickly unless they just flat left the piston ring off the unit. Highly doubtful.
Well I'm open to ideas if you have any?? I have never built a turbo car before, but I have done my fair share of research and I feel that I have it set up correctly. What could be wrong in the oil system?? Feed line size? Drain line position? These are pretty simple things and are pretty hard to screw up IMO. As I said, my drain line is -10 and has a 45* fitting off the bottom of the turbo into a 90* fitting at the oil pan. It drains into the pan nice and high and I have had the fitting off before and not leaked any oil, which means it's above the oil level.

As for the feed line, it is a -4 line and I have no restrictor. T-netics said there is no need for a restrictor under 90 psi on thier turbos. I am drawing a blank. Like I said, I really don't know what else to check, so any ideas would be great.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Teching In

I may have your answer... you could have coked oil clogging up the return. The turbo seals are like main bearing seals, they are supposed to seal oil but not necissarily under much pressure. A perfect rebuild with a clogged return could still cause pressure and could cause the turbo to leak. Here is a real good artical on that particular topic, check it out http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...aust-With-Pics!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We also try to do a straight fitting on the return whenever possible. With no 90 degree fittings anywhere in the system.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

High crankcase pressure???
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

No oil restrictor on a BB turbo? Either too much oil is getting in, or not enough is getting out.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slpfirehawk415
I may have your answer... you could have coked oil clogging up the return. The turbo seals are like main bearing seals, they are supposed to seal oil but not necissarily under much pressure. A perfect rebuild with a clogged return could still cause pressure and could cause the turbo to leak. Here is a real good artical on that particular topic, check it out http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...aust-With-Pics!
I will have to check out the return line to be sure it's clear, but this is a brand new build and all lines were brand new when installed. I have maybe a total of 3 hours of run time on this setup and most of it was idling in my driveway. I wouldn't think the drain is clogged, but like I said, I'll check it out just to be 100% sure at some point.

Originally Posted by Sarg
We also try to do a straight fitting on the return whenever possible. With no 90 degree fittings anywhere in the system.
Unfortunately on the oil pan end, it's not possible on my setup. I need a 90* there...but I have seen a bunch of other people use 90* -10 fittings with good success, so I wouldn't think the bend would be my issue.

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
High crankcase pressure???
I was actually curious about this. I have an RX performance catch can setup with the "suction" port plumbed into the rear spot on the drivers side valve cover and the vacuum port hooked to the intake manifold. There is a 3rd port that goes to the turbo intake which I havn't set up yet since it's not ready to see boost at the time being. I read that someone removed thier oil fill cap and the leaking seemed to stop on thier turbo. I will have to try this, but I would assume I'm getting a good suction through the catch can??

Originally Posted by 123quattro
No oil restrictor on a BB turbo? Either too much oil is getting in, or not enough is getting out.
Thats what it seems like, but T-netics swears I don't need a restrictor unless the turbo is getting 90+ PSI of pressure, which it is nowhere near. The guy at T-netics told me to try a -3 feed line instead of the -4 I have, but thats such a waste of money since once I use it, I'm stuck with it. AN stuff gets expensive. It pisses me off because the instructions with the turbo clearly say use EITHER a -4 or -3 feed line.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys. Just fired the car up to check it out. After running for a few minutes, I pulled off the oil fill cap for the hell of it and it made a loud wooosh noise, almost like a blowoff valve. Held my hand over it and it's got a pretty good vacuum because it starts to suck my hand to it. I'm wondering if this is my problem?? I'll throw a breather in place and check it out, but in you guys opinions, could this be whats pushing oil past the seals on the turbo?

I had the catch can hooked to manifold vacuum but no breather in the system anywhere. Do you generally want a breather somewhere with a vacuum assisted catch can setup?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really, you actually want a vacuum. But I am curious if your set up has ANY type of venting during boost. I would assume that there is some form of a check valve preventing boost from going from the inlet to the crank case. Do you just have the line that is supposed to go to the turbo inlet going to atmosphere?

As for the feed lines, we always use a -4 on large T6 turbos, -3 on T4 sized turbos and a restrictor on ball bearings....but if they say no restrictor is necessary, I guess they know their turbos better than anyone! We have actually had to use a minor restrictor on -4 lines with t4 sized turbo Borg Warner turbos before to keep them from smoking. It was basically just to neck it down from -4 to -3 size.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM
FormerVendor

run the car, turn car off. Quickly pull 90* fitting off pan. See how much comes out of the line.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Teching In

NightmareTA, I actually wasn't talking about clogged return lines, I was talking about inside the turbo itself before it gets to the return line. People will shut the car off after boost sometimes and it will burn the oil which turns to coke and can cause problems from restricting oil flow and building pressure. If you check out the link you will see what I mean, you dont need to read the whole thing just look at the middle pictures and look at the end. The fact its a new rebuild but a used turbo means there is def room for something like this to be going on. I understand not wanting to tear stuff apart if you dont have to but at least check out that link, see what im talking about and see if that makes sense to you with your used, rebuilt turbo. Also, keep us posted for sure when you do find out the real deal.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sarg
Not really, you actually want a vacuum. But I am curious if your set up has ANY type of venting during boost. I would assume that there is some form of a check valve preventing boost from going from the inlet to the crank case. Do you just have the line that is supposed to go to the turbo inlet going to atmosphere?

As for the feed lines, we always use a -4 on large T6 turbos, -3 on T4 sized turbos and a restrictor on ball bearings....but if they say no restrictor is necessary, I guess they know their turbos better than anyone! We have actually had to use a minor restrictor on -4 lines with t4 sized turbo Borg Warner turbos before to keep them from smoking. It was basically just to neck it down from -4 to -3 size.
Sarg, The way the catch can is set up currently, the line that is supposed to be going to the turbo intake is just open, but it has a check ball at the catch can so it's not just an open "vacuum leak". I've had my finger over it and the check ball is sealing the vacuum in. There are check ***** to prevent boost from entering the crankcase...thats how the catch can was designed. The engine has not seen any boost yet since it is untuned, but I am still curious if I should have SOME sort of breather for venting. Honestly, when I removed the oil fill cap, it was a LOUD suction sound. I'm not exaggerating when I say it sounded like a BOV...it actually startled me. I wouldn't think that was normal, since on a stock engine there is not anywhere near that amount of vacuum when the oil cap is removed on a running engine. It may just be me, but I swear the oil pressure gauge went up a bit once I removed the oil cap as well.

As far as the feed line, if this remains a problem, thats something I'll have to try out. Probably gonna run me around $50, but hey if it fixes the problem, I guess it's worth it.

Originally Posted by Louis
run the car, turn car off. Quickly pull 90* fitting off pan. See how much comes out of the line.
And what exactly would this tell me? What is "normal" for the amount of oil that is supposed to drain from it once the car is shut off?

Originally Posted by slpfirehawk415
NightmareTA, I actually wasn't talking about clogged return lines, I was talking about inside the turbo itself before it gets to the return line. People will shut the car off after boost sometimes and it will burn the oil which turns to coke and can cause problems from restricting oil flow and building pressure. If you check out the link you will see what I mean, you dont need to read the whole thing just look at the middle pictures and look at the end. The fact its a new rebuild but a used turbo means there is def room for something like this to be going on. I understand not wanting to tear stuff apart if you dont have to but at least check out that link, see what im talking about and see if that makes sense to you with your used, rebuilt turbo. Also, keep us posted for sure when you do find out the real deal.
Ahhh, ok. Gotcha. In all honesty though, when they rebuilt the turbo, they replaced the entire center section since my old one had an older turbine wheel which they no longer made parts for. They actually sent me the old center section and wheel. Everything besides the compressor housing is brand new so I don't really think there'd be any coking yet...especially since this engine or turbo hasn't even seen any boost yet!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am fighting a very similar issue.

I also have the RX catch can with the three nipples. One was hooked to the air filter attached to the turbo compressor housing the middle nipple is a attached to a "T" with one side going to the rear drivers side valve cover and the other to the nipple on the valley cover. The last nipple is attached to the intake manifold right before the TB.

In my case I also have the optional breather filter that replaces the stock oil filler cap and I plugged the nipple on the front passenger valve cover.

I noticed a what looked like smoke or light mist coming off the filter on the filler cap and smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I also have the Exa-Pump and checked to make sure it was working by putting the drains from the turbos into a plastic container and then I put the hose from the oil return pump into the container. I started the car and unplugged he pump and the container started filler really fast but as soon as I turned the pump on it sucked up all the oil until the contained wad dry.

I have BB turbos with a pressure reducing/restrictor in the -3 lines going to each turbo.

I am about to throw the white flag myself.

BTW, I currently have the line from the turbo to the catch can unhooked because I removed the air filter while checking things out. Not sure it that would cause an increase in crank case pressure.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your set up?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

why a 90 degree at the pan? I don't like that, but it should work with the line size you are using.

Quick Reply: Fresh turbo back from T-netics leaking oil....WTF??