Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC idler pulley stripped... question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC idler pulley stripped... question

Okay, those who have done their AC pulleys (tensioner and idler) I need your advice. I got the tensioner off with no issue (15mm bolts are easy peasy), but the idler uses a t50 torx, and it was tighter than a ticks ***... I tried to break it with all my strength, but ended up stripping it. I cant get the sucker off, the damn thing is stripped as hell so it just comes out every time I try to turn it. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you get it off? And also, after I get it off, where is a good place to get a replacement mounting bolt so that I dont put the stripped one back on... It seems to be not really an easy part to find.

Thank you for any and all advice. Also, things I have tried: Some heat, PB Blaster, tapping w a flathead and hammer to try and get something looser. Nothing helped.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had the exact same thing happen. damn those torx bolts. i ended up taking out the bracket and having a shop drill it out. i just ordered the assembly which is only available oem part. comes with new bolt, spacers, and pulley. gm part 12557335. i snagged it on rock auto for like 34 shipped. still alot for a damn plastic pulley
Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

If you have a welder, you can tack a short bolt to it and use a wrench or ratchet to turn it out.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs up Yep...

Originally Posted by ThumpnZ28
If you have a welder, you can tack a short bolt to it and use a wrench or ratchet to turn it out.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by beyonddisturbed
had the exact same thing happen. damn those torx bolts. i ended up taking out the bracket and having a shop drill it out. i just ordered the assembly which is only available oem part. comes with new bolt, spacers, and pulley. gm part 12557335. i snagged it on rock auto for like 34 shipped. still alot for a damn plastic pulley
Originally Posted by ThumpnZ28
def dont have a welder, nor have i welded anything in my life. :/

I guess ill be trying at it till I get lucky or riding w it squeaking for a while as right now its my DD until my other car gets some tires and power steering work
Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

So... been thinking, I for some reason don't have a breaker bar (left it at the folks when I moved out) so I may go buy one tonight. Might try and get my girlfriend to hold her foot on it and try the breaker bar... lmao ghetto I know but breaker bars have been known to work wonders

EDIT: also, was wondering if I got a bolt w same threads and everything and flared out at the end but not a torx, if I could use that w no harm? Ya know, go find a similar one but with a normal head (15 mm or something) from the parts store.

Last edited by Clayton Andrew; 03-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

try an allen key that fits its nothing more than that with a points at the end lol ask me how i know stupid german carsuse torx for everything
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you put a replacement bolt back in, put a dab of anti-seize on it. Steel bolts just tend to get stuck in the aluminum over time....
Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the bolt is not broken loose, get a handy punch (e.g. 3/8" socket extension bar) and using a hammer give the bolt head a sharp rap (via the punch) inline with the bolt axis (a sharp rap, not a deathblow)... then try unscrewing the bolt.

Quick Reply: AC idler pulley stripped... question