Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few h/c questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A few h/c questions

Ok guys, I have the tsp 228r cam with stage 2.5 LS6 heads milled .030. for approx 11 to 1 compression ratio.

1) what size combustion chambers approx will I have?

2) is it recommended or required to check piston to valve clearance with this size cam and heads setup for guys running this cam or similiar? from what i heard you need to have a solid lifter and bolt a head back up and check it out with clay, which would be an extra hassle. even if i did were would i get a solid lifter for this LS1 motor? local auto parts store?

3) also degreeing the cam? how many of you guys do this and is this something i should be worried about? i was originally planning on bolting this together lined up dot to dot.

any criticism is welcome, as this is a learning experience and my motor should be pulled this evening.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Austinma62
Ok guys, I have the tsp 228r cam with stage 2.5 LS6 heads milled .030. for approx 11 to 1 compression ratio.

1) what size combustion chambers approx will I have?

2) is it recommended or required to check piston to valve clearance with this size cam and heads setup for guys running this cam or similiar? from what i heard you need to have a solid lifter and bolt a head back up and check it out with clay, which would be an extra hassle. even if i did were would i get a solid lifter for this LS1 motor? local auto parts store?

3) also degreeing the cam? how many of you guys do this and is this something i should be worried about? i was originally planning on bolting this together lined up dot to dot.

any criticism is welcome, as this is a learning experience and my motor should be pulled this evening.
Lots of questions I kind of had been thinking of too. First .030 is alot milled off to me and is higher than 11 to 1 with even a stock gasket. Playing with many compression calculators that brings you close to 11.5-1. Milled .030 is about 60ccs. I would think TSP would be able to tell you how close the combination is to PTV. You also need to think about the intake fitting right (I head you might have bolt alignment issues).

May I ask, Why did you have the heads milled .030?

Last edited by badazz81z28; 03-22-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The heads were milled for more compression. I was after aroudn 11 to 1 compression ratio. Can you elaborate more on the intake no aligning right?