Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Intake only LS2 GTO vs stock 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake only LS2 GTO vs stock 2011 5.0

Hey guys. My brother has been searching for a stock 5.0 to run for a while and we finally got our chance when we learned that a buddy had picked one up. SO many people had said the 5.0 would "kill" a 6.0 GTO, so we wanted to see how it would go with a great driver in each car. Personally, I think a certain magazine blew the 5.0 hype out of proportion and now everyone thinks they have a low 12 second car out of the box with them. No doubt it's an excellent motor with great potential....we just wanted to quiet down a few freinds of ours and get them off thier 5.0 high horse.

Anyways, both cars are 6 speed manuals. mustang is bone stock, GTO has an intake only and is still untuned. And no, the mustang is not the track pack with 3.73's, but the GTO only has 3.45's so this was in a sense a "better" race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDFDf...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About what I expected, if he has 3.31 gears its hurting him but Id love to see an intake/tune on both and a re-run the same races.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
About what I expected, if he has 3.31 gears its hurting him but Id love to see an intake/tune on both and a re-run the same races.
Me too on the rematch. The 5.0 owner is planning on possibly getting an intake on it and a tune down the road, and my brother has a tune scheduled for the GTO next month. Would make for a "no excuses" race!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean video and good kill by GTO driver.

But damn both cars are quiet as hell. Sounded as if a V6 Camry was squaring off against a Honda Accord, lol.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Staging Lane

Best part was the random Audi joining in and getting left behind ! lol
Old 03-23-2012, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
Clean video and good kill by GTO driver.

But damn both cars are quiet as hell. Sounded as if a V6 Camry was squaring off against a Honda Accord, lol.
LOL....yea they're both pretty quiet being stock exhausts. My brother doesn't know if he wants an exhaust yet. He has a TA as his "race" car so the GTO may just stay quiet as a driver.

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
Best part was the random Audi joining in and getting left behind ! lol
It was so perfect man. Doesn't happen often but we saw him coming up on us and were thinking "is this guy gonna line up?" Sure enough, he downshifted and got right beside us like he knew the drill lol. Didn't turn out very well for him though.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

good races all in all. To me it looked like if there were no passenger involved.. The 5 liter would have the slight edge. Also, i remember seeing in another video against a 350z, that the GTO picked up a fair amount from the svede intake. Either way, ive owned both cars. I wont say either of them is limited any less then the other in the aftermarket world. Two awesome rides
Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by evangto87
good races all in all. To me it looked like if there were no passenger involved.. The 5 liter would have the slight edge. Also, i remember seeing in another video against a 350z, that the GTO picked up a fair amount from the svede intake. Either way, ive owned both cars. I wont say either of them is limited any less then the other in the aftermarket world. Two awesome rides
Oh I have no doubt the 5.0 is faster all things being equal. In the race against the 370Z before the intake, the GTO had a hesitation almost every time in 4th gear for some reason that was hurting performance. Ever since the intake install, the problem seemed to have worked itself out. My brother also did new plugs and wires and cleaned the MAF since then. It all comes down to having a healthy, well maintained car. Some def do run stronger than others based on how an owner upkeeps it.

But in the end, the 5.0 makes a little more power and is lighter, so in theory it's the faster car. I just get so sick of the majority of people (mostly local guys) saying how an LS2 would get slaughtered by a 5.0 when they are in fact so close on paper. In this case, what was on paper turned out to be pretty close in the real world. It was def a good time though, and the first time I've ever ridden in a 5.0. They def rip!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Me too on the rematch. The 5.0 owner is planning on possibly getting an intake on it and a tune down the road, and my brother has a tune scheduled for the GTO next month. Would make for a "no excuses" race!
Nice video.

Who's tuning the car? You know I could do it for the cost of HPT credits right
And if you need dyno time, I get 2 hours for $150.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awaits for Ohio to ruin yet another thread...

Good runs! Imagine if Ju1ce was driving
Old 03-23-2012, 03:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Awaits for Ohio to ruin yet another thread...

Good runs! Imagine if Ju1ce was driving
I'll give him some credit I think he's gotten better...

Nice runs. I'd like to see it next time with even passengers though!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:33 AM
Teching In

He's a good driver. But I still want to race SRZ's G8 in that GTO
Old 03-23-2012, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Too much credit, Rob. I think it has gotten worse.

Both of them seem to be banging gears.

Can't wait to hear the "ohh well GTO has an intake, 5.0 lacks 3.73's, 5.0 needs driver mod, GTO has more cubes, 5.0 has 18's vs his 17's, 5.0 is given too skinny of rear tires from the factory, 5.0 isn't apart of Ohio's gang of 5.0's so must not run right, 5.0 needs tune and will gain like 50rwhp then rerun them!, 5.0 driver is fat - let me jump in the driver's seat."

Last edited by marc97taws6; 03-23-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Has to be impossible to just post a race, no 3rd party no car bs, or 15 minutes of titles in windows 98 movie maker.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Good runs. About what I expected......but wtf.....no dig.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great runs and daytime video. I agree it looks like the 5.0 has the advantage if they were to run stock for stock with no passengers, but it was DEFINITELY close. Probably a lot closer than many people would think with two solid drivers behind the wheels.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Nice vid. I almost enjoy watching stock cars at similar power levels going at it more than anything anymore. Looked like fun!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Nice video.

Who's tuning the car? You know I could do it for the cost of HPT credits right
And if you need dyno time, I get 2 hours for $150.
My brother was planning on going to the local dyno day in April to have it done, just for the atmosphere lol. Well see what happens once it gets closer to that time though.

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Too much credit, Rob. I thinj it has gotten worse.

Both of them seem to be banging gears.

Can't wait to hear the "ohh well GTO has an intake, 5.0 lacks 3.73's, 5.0 needs driver mod, GTO has more cubes, 5.0 has 18's vs his 17's, 5.0 is given too skinny of rear tires from the factory, 5.0 isn't apart of Ohio's gang of 5.0's so must not run right, 5.0 needs tune and will gain like 50rwhp then rerun them!, 5.0 driver is fat - let me jump in the driver's seat."
Eh, I posted the vid knowing I'd probably get flamed by a few nutswingers, but in the end, they are both great cars. Your never going to have a 100% fair equal race because some cars have different factory rear gears, different tranny gearing, different redlines, etc etc. As I said before, I see youtube vids where a GTO gets destroyed and people start flaming them, but it'll be a stock A4 6.0 GTO with a little girl behind the wheel haha.

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78
Has to be impossible to just post a race, no 3rd party no car bs, or 15 minutes of titles in windows 98 movie maker.
Uhhhh....what? Would that be a compliment or strike towards me? I like to make my vids interesting with a little editing rather than the typical 20 second race vid that looks like it was filmed by a toothbrush.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Good runs. About what I expected......but wtf.....no dig.
We were talking about a dig to be honest. The highway we were on is not very busy at all, but there were no "down" times to get a dig in since there would always be a steady one or two cars coming. Maybe down the road sometime we'll get some digs.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice runs..was it the gto chirping tires on the shifts?

The 5.0 have 3.31 gears or 3.55s? It can come with either since stated did.t have 3.73s. Seemed lime the 5.0 had a little advantage but all in all good runs.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Nice runs..was it the gto chirping tires on the shifts?

The 5.0 have 3.31 gears or 3.55s? It can come with either since stated did.t have 3.73s. Seemed lime the 5.0 had a little advantage but all in all good runs.
Thanks buddy! And honestly, no clue on the rear gears. My buddy just picked the car up a couple weeks ago so he really hasn't had time to check out the specs. We know the GTO was chirping tires every time into 3rd, and I want to say the mustang did on half the runs as well. They'd both go into 3rd right about the exact time so it was tough to tell.

The 5.0 is the quicker car stock for stock, even without the 3.73's...the old GTO held up pretty good I'd say though!

Quick Reply: Intake only LS2 GTO vs stock 2011 5.0