LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

touch up spray paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default touch up spray paint

hey guys,

I am taking on a project where i am painting my rim inserts to my aftermarket 20 inch rims body color so i ordered a few cans of the touch up spray paint from the Chevrolet dealer.(all i gave them was my vin). So I got the cans in today and i noticed that the lid is a darker red than the body paint of my imp ss...The paint code in the trunk is BC CC 946L and on the touch up paint cans it states "946L Cobalt red". Are the caps on these spray cans generally off in color or did the people at the warehouse send me burgandy GM paint?

I called the parts desk back and the guy working wasn't very friendly and stated that "if you provided your vin then it is correct paint"..I really don't want to start using the paint and find out that it is wrong especially since they are almost $14 a can.

So here are the best pics i have of my car and one of the spray cans....Any advice or help would be appreciated....

thanks
Attached Thumbnails touch up spray paint-imag0178.jpg   touch up spray paint-imag0165.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Teching In

I am sure it is the correct color and personally never go by the actual color of the can top because I am sure it is not exact, why dont you spray a little on something like cardboard and hold it up to the car. I am sure you could still return it if you only sprayed a little.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, that's how it works, if you gave him the VIN, even if he is a chump steak parts guy, it's pretty hard to screw up looking up touch up paint.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cobalt red is the same color. There are like three reds that are the same color but a different name.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the info. I'll test it out on cardboard and see.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

BC CC means your car is a base coat clear coat. That color will have no shine unless you clear coat it. The red might not match 100% unless its clear coated as well. As for the plastic cap, its only good at identifying the contents of the can as some form of red and nothing more.

I personally like DupliColor touch up cans the best. They are cheap, color match is great and the spray nozzel is miles ahead of any other spray can I've ever used.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Yeah I just wanted to make sure that the paint matched body 100%...I'm going to use adhesion promotor and clearcoat as well..
Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hopefully it looks ok. Might be too much red.